What software doesn't do ....

What software doesn't do ....

Postby Jonathan Robie » May 11th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Are there things you think software should do well, that aren't done well by any Bible study software you've used? If so, what?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
Jonathan Robie

Re: What software doesn't do ....

Postby Barry Hofstetter » May 11th, 2011, 5:26 pm

Jonathan Robie wrote:Are there things you think software should do well, that aren't done well by any Bible study software you've used? If so, what?

What Software does do these days is amazing. However, I am more concerned with what people do with Software who have not had the training in the languages. This is a pet peeve of mine, since I often find people doing the right sorts of things with the software, in terms of searches, both semantic and morphological, but coming to conclusion that are just wrong. I am not sure I can quantify this, but electronic tools are best used by those who know the languages well, and can never be a substitute for really knowing the languages.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
Barry Hofstetter

Postby Jonathan Robie » May 11th, 2011, 5:37 pm

When I work with a text, I like to have the text up front and center. I'd like to be able to add notes to the text, do searches and incorporate the results, etc. In other words, I'd like a good word processor for Greek texts, extended with the tools typically found in Bible software.

I'd also like to be able to share notes on a text easily with others over the Internet.

Are there tools that do these things well?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
Jonathan Robie

Postby Lee Moses » June 1st, 2011, 11:55 pm

Jonathan Robie wrote:When I work with a text, I like to have the text up front and center. I'd like to be able to add notes to the text, do searches and incorporate the results, etc. In other words, I'd like a good word processor for Greek texts, extended with the tools typically found in Bible software.

I'd also like to be able to share notes on a text easily with others over the Internet.

Are there tools that do these things well?

I can't comment on sharing notes over the Internet, but the BibleWorks notes feature is outstanding. It's fairly simple to create hyperlinks to other verses in your notes. I have BibleWorks on a desktop and a laptop, so I have BW set to save my notes to my thumb drive.
Lee Moses

Return to Bible Study Software