How can I save Unicode characters in a .txt file?

Jonathan Robie

Re: How can I save Unicode characters in a .txt file?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Stephen Hughes wrote:
Jonathan Robie wrote:What operating system are you on? When you run the text editor, can you choose "help" from the menu and tell us what the name of the text editor program is? ... Stephen, does your editor work correctly for Chinese?
Windows 7 Simplified Chinese. The name of the text editor is 记事本. My Chinese is not good enough for the help to be helpful. It has no problem handling Chinese characters.
There should be an option for saving as UTF-8. If you want to have it use UTF-8 by default, see if these instructions help - I can't try them on my Linux box.

Or get a better text editor - Notepad++ has already been mentioned.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Jonathan Robie wrote:There should be an option for saving as UTF-8. If you want to have it use UTF-8 by default, see if these instructions help - I can't try them on my Linux box.
Thank you, yes. I realise now that I need to "save as" to find the way to change the format.

The Text.Polybius.5.1.1.txt file downloads with the full character set now

I'm not going to mess with the registry settings at this stage.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I would consider installing Notepad++ or another editor before messing with registry settings. You can associate a different program with .txt files.

If your default editor for .txt files can't handle Unicode without munging with the registry, you need a better default editor ...

Do any of you Windows users have experience with BabelPad?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Unicode and Fonts”