Logeion at the University of Chicago

MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

Helma Dik just made an announcement on her website about a online interface for using digitized Greek lexicons from Perseus:
Helma Dik wrote:This summer, we launched Logeion, an integrated interface for looking up entries in the dictionaries and reference works from the Perseus collection. Logeion is inspired by DVLF, the Dictionnaire vivant de la langue française, but re-designed from the ground up by two Chicago Classics undergraduates, Josh Goldenberg (class of 2012) and Matt Shanahan (class of 2014). Some more details: Logeion does not allow full text search - for this you should still use the separate search pages for the dictionaries, or the homesites of the DuCange and Latin-Dutch dictionaries (see Logeion's About page).
I've been playing with it and its extremely easy to use, providing all the available Perseus lexical entries as well as a list of example sentences pulled directly from the Perseus corpus:

There's more useful information the "About Page."

If you use Chrome, be sure to read through her whole post because there's a pretty neat feature for integrating Logeion directly into the browser. I'm sure it would be possible to write a Firefox plugin that does the say...though that's beyond my technical abilities.

(This is cross-posted at my blog)
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Stephen Carlson

Re: Logeion at the University of Chicago

Post by Stephen Carlson »

The linguistics blogger Language Hat has recently mentioned Logeion along with some choice comments about classical-language lexica.

I haven't looked at Logeion since Mike's announcement.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
mwpalmer

Post by mwpalmer »

Thanks for pointing this out, Mike! It's a very nice interface. I've just added it to the Dictionaries page at Greek-Language.com.
Micheal W. Palmer
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

While it's been around for a few years now, it may be worth calling attention anew, as AWOL has just done, to this collection of Greek and Latin dictionaries and reference works at http://perseus.uchicago.edu/Reference/
For most purposes, these separate databases for the reference works should now be obsolete. You can consult all these resources together in Logeion, which contains copies of the dictionaries that are more frequently updated, and more besides: the DGE and DuCange accompany LSJ and Lewis & Short, and you will also find frequency data, collocations, and examples from the corpus. There is even an app for your phone! The dictionaries below are useful if instead of searching for particular entries (the normal mode of using a dictionary), you want to search the full text.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)

Return to “Seen on the Web”