Greek texts app for Android

Tell us about interesting projects involving biblical Greek. Collaborative projects involving biblical Greek may use this forum for their communication - please contact jonathan.robie@ibiblio.org if you want to use this forum for your project.
SGraham

Greek texts app for Android

Post by SGraham »

Hi everyone, I've created an Android app and web page with Henry Barclay Swete's critical version of Codex Vaticanus Greek OT combined with the Westcott & Hort GNT.

The app also currently has the texts of most of the Early Church Fathers (e.g. I & II Clement, the letters of Ignatius, the Epistle of Barnabas, etc.). I haven't got around to posting these on the site, but plan to eventually.

Currently I'm working on editing the 1904 printing of the Thomson English translation of Vaticanus from Archive.org and will add that as an accompaniment to the Greek OT/NT. I'm also editing the text of Swete's Septuagint and slowly adding the apparatus and codex markers.

Plans include:
  • releasing the texts in various formats such as Word documents, PDF, and Epub as well as modules for theWord and OSIS based software.
  • Replace the WH text with perhaps the text of the Vaticanus
  • Add other Greek, Latin, and other early versions
  • Add the ECF texts as well as other early Christian writings
  • Maaaaaybe typeset a printed edition and publish
My site is https://hagiascriptura.com - there's a link to the app on the main page. It's free (of charge and from adverts) and the Greek Bible as it stands is on the page. I'll add a page with theWord files in a little while - I've been using it and it's working fairly well, I just want to fix a few more things with it.

If you have any ideas, suggestions, or freely available and usable resources I could plunder and add, I would love to hear about them.

If you would like the Word documents for other projects, just tell me. I have created them as book to a document with verse to a line formatting and started recreating the three volume set (vol 01= 1925, 02 = 1907, and 03 = 1930 printings).

They were all sourced from Archive.org so I am happy to share my work on them.
Jonathan Robie

Re: Greek texts app for Android

Post by Jonathan Robie »

SGraham wrote: June 27th, 2018, 4:13 am Hi everyone, I've created an Android app and web page with Henry Barclay Swete's critical version of Codex Vaticanus Greek OT combined with the Westcott & Hort GNT.

The app also currently has the texts of most of the Early Church Fathers (e.g. I & II Clement, the letters of Ignatius, the Epistle of Barnabas, etc.). I haven't got around to posting these on the site, but plan to eventually.
Cool - thanks for posting this!
SGraham wrote: June 27th, 2018, 4:13 am If you would like the Word documents for other projects, just tell me. I have created them as book to a document with verse to a line formatting and started recreating the three volume set (vol 01= 1925, 02 = 1907, and 03 = 1930 printings).

They were all sourced from Archive.org so I am happy to share my work on them.
I would be interested in the Church Fathers and the Septuagint.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
SGraham

Post by SGraham »

Cool, I hope you enjoy it :)

Tell me if you have any problems especially with the texts. I'm somewhat limited on the features I can add because I'm using someone else's software, but it does allow for various books and Bibles to be added as well as even readings of the text (a possibility if I can ever get fluent enough reading it).

I used Paratext 8 (free account) to create the basic texts and the Scripture App Builder to create the app. I've found it to be mostly stable but it crashes from time to time if you have it open too long.

Like I said, I hope people enjoy it and get good use out of it. I have room to add more to the app, it's only ~22 Mb at the moment.

If you find problems, drop me a message at admin@hagiascriptura.com and I'll take a look at it.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

So if you are using ParaTExt, you could export this as XML as well?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
SGraham

Post by SGraham »

Jonathan Robie wrote: June 28th, 2018, 1:04 pm So if you are using ParaTExt, you could export this as XML as well?
Yes, I have done a test export in USX format and everything seems to be working as it should.

I have little knowledge of XML so I can't tell you if it is correct - but going on Paratext's previous performance, it should be good.

As an update, I've tested out putting the apparatus as footnotes and it works nicely. Now Genesis 1 has the 1925 apparatus for that chapter. I'll start gradually adding it to the rest of the Bible.

Return to “Projects”