Funk BIGHG

Tell us about interesting projects involving biblical Greek. Collaborative projects involving biblical Greek may use this forum for their communication - please contact jonathan.robie@ibiblio.org if you want to use this forum for your project.
MAubrey

Re: Funk BIGHG

Post by MAubrey »

RDecker wrote:Might I suggest that you link Funk's grammar on the b-greek main forum page? There are probably a lot of people who don't know that it is available.
Agreed. It's never been particularly accessible unless you already knew about it.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Louis L Sorenson

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

I made a sticky post (it will always stay on the top of the messages) about it under Books-Grammars. http://www-test.ibiblio.org/bgreek/foru ... f=21&t=307. It's not on the main B-Greek page. We could also post it as a sticky under the Beginner's forum. I've talked with Jonathan about placing it somewhere on the Announcement page (adding Hosted Resources to the "Announcements, Questions, Policies" subforum. What think ye?
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Louis L Sorenson wrote:I made a sticky post (it will always stay on the top of the messages) about it under Books-Grammars. http://www-test.ibiblio.org/bgreek/foru ... f=21&t=307. It's not on the main B-Greek page. We could also post it as a sticky under the Beginner's forum. I've talked with Jonathan about placing it somewhere on the Announcement page (adding Hosted Resources to the "Announcements, Questions, Policies" subforum. What think ye?
I agree. I always wondered why it was not on the B-Greek mailing-list "homepage" since it was hosted by B-Greek. I think that if it is really good, it should stick everywhere, especially on the index page and under the Beginner's forum. :D
δαυιδ λιμ
RDecker

Post by RDecker »

Louis L Sorenson wrote:I made a sticky post (it will always stay on the top of the messages) about it under Books-Grammars. http://www-test.ibiblio.org/bgreek/foru ... f=21&t=307. It's not on the main B-Greek page. We could also post it as a sticky under the Beginner's forum. I've talked with Jonathan about placing it somewhere on the Announcement page (adding Hosted Resources to the "Announcements, Questions, Policies" subforum. What think ye?
So long as it's only linked in a post, even if a sticky one, it still won't be very obvious. Any option to add a sidebar or header/footer section where it's always visible?
Rodney J. Decker
Prof/NT
Baptist Bible Seminary
Clarks Summit, PA
(See profile for my NTResources blog address.)
Peter Pankonin

Post by Peter Pankonin »

Jonathan Robie wrote: I'd really like to have those appendices corrected ....
There's a copy of Funk in my local public library. I could scan the missing pages if needed...if that is permitted.
--
Πέτρος Πανκώνιν
"There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Peter Pankonin wrote:
Jonathan Robie wrote: I'd really like to have those appendices corrected ....
There's a copy of Funk in my local public library. I could scan the missing pages if needed...if that is permitted.
That would be great!
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I have now set up a private project forum for the Funk Grammar

If anyone wants to be a member of that forum, just tell me, and I'll add you to the Funk Project group. It's not private because we need to keep secrets, it's private because a lot of boring posts about changing hyphens to em dashes and fixing accents aren't great to have in a public forum.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Jonathan Robie wrote:
Louis L Sorenson wrote:I notice the volume 3 (the appendices) is only partially completed. There are no images or pdf pages past page 22 (i.e. pages 23-ca 184) are missing. Is this correct?
I was looking for the images for the appendices today too, and did not find them. Do you know who might have them? I wasn't involved in the original scans, and have never had a paper copy.

I'd really like to have those appendices corrected ....
I think I have a comb-bound copy at my office. We're getting a high-speed scanner at work next week, so I could unbind them, run them through the scanner, OCR them with FineReader Pro 10, and put them up as PDF and HTML or RTF or DOCX or whatever you need. Then I can just slip the comb bank on.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Ken M. Penner wrote:I think I have a comb-bound copy at my office. We're getting a high-speed scanner at work next week, so I could unbind them, run them through the scanner, OCR them with FineReader Pro 10, and put them up as PDF and HTML or RTF or DOCX or whatever you need. Then I can just slip the comb bank on.
That would be massively helpful.

We could compare any html pages to the current pages that have been converted, or as a starting point for the appendices. And having physical scans for all pages would be great. I'll still keep our current files as the basis for going forward, unless the quality of the new scans is somehow greatly superior.

I'd think PDF and HTML would be good.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Louis L Sorenson wrote:(1).....I would like to see a set of links at the top of each page.including the section range (or start range). That way people do not have to go the the complicated TOC to find the correct section. When we were editing the book on the editing site, there was a link section at the top of each page.
I added these. It's ugly, and it also shows up on a printed copy, which is unfortunate.

We can probably do something with CSS to improve this. I'd also like to be able to toggle the sections on or off.
Louis L Sorenson wrote:(2).....I would like to get the style sheet references into each page so that the section numbers show the references in bold, as the CSS sheet intends. Apparently the formatting CSS link got dropped in the upgrade and they do not appear as bold.
Fixed.
Louis L Sorenson wrote:(3).....I would like to get hyperlinks (anchors) created for each section. Many of the sections currently have their code ID set to name="s016.4". That name needs to be changed to the following correct section id - it should be possible to do this programatically.
Done. Also removed tons of superfluous IDs that caused the files to be invalid, which meant we couldn't use many standard XML tools on it.

Funk's number system is a little odd (e.g. 1710. occurs after 171. but before 171.2 - he should have titled it 171.0 which of course kind of conflicts with 171.). Funk in his preface states that he organized his numbering system purposely to let other later users add sections to his grammar. This is something the B-Greek Project should consider doing. I think I read somewhere that his widow wanted the B-Greek site to go forward with his grammar.
Let's not change a reference scheme on an existing work - the old numbers must refer to the current sections.

Also: as a side-effect of some of the changes I made, I eliminated a lot of  s. This may have broken spacing somewhere, but a spot check didn't show places where anything broke.

Return to “Projects”