Center for New Testament Restoration

Tell us about interesting projects involving biblical Greek. Collaborative projects involving biblical Greek may use this forum for their communication - please contact jonathan.robie@ibiblio.org if you want to use this forum for your project.

Center for New Testament Restoration

Postby Alan Bunning » February 25th, 2014, 10:50 am

Here is the beta version of a website I have created that contains individual electronic transcriptions of all extant manuscripts, quotations, talismans, etc. of the Greek New Testament up to a terminus ad quem of 400 AD. It has taken me several years to create what some consider to be the “holy grail” of textual criticism. All of these manuscripts have also been assembled in a verse-by-verse collation for the entire New Testament. Instead of rely on apparatuses, you can now see transcripts of the manuscripts themselves. The standards used for these manuscripts is discussed at http://bunning.gweb.io/CNTR/downloads/manuscripts.pdf and an overview of the project and its future goals is discussed at http://bunning.gweb.io/CNTR/downloads/project.pdf. I would certainly appreciate any comments or criticism concerning the direction of the project, which I understand many will find to be radical. But please try to limit your comments to logic, reason, and evidence if you wish to persuade me of a better approach.

This beta version might be a little slow at times because it is on a free hosting site, so please don’t start linking to the site yet or the bandwidth limits would soon be exceeded. I have already had to move the site once. Right now I am just looking for feedback and will probably move the site to a more permanent URL later. I am hoping to find a partnership with a Christian college or university to house this project and continue its research, so if you know of such opportunities, please let me know. For now, the website is at:

http://bunning.gweb.io/CNTR/

The individual transcriptions and the collation are located under the manuscripts tab. Please let me know of any comments you have.

Alan Bunning
Alan Bunning

Re: Center for New Testament Restoration

Postby RandallButh » February 26th, 2014, 7:58 am

Wow, that is a lot of work. Glad to see א 01 B03 A02 and D05, and the principle eclectic versions listed.
RandallButh

Postby Ken M. Penner » February 27th, 2014, 9:42 am

Thanks for this. Your project clearly illustrates some of the complexity scribes encountered when of transcribing Hebrew or Aramaic into Greek, exemplified in Mark 15.34 in parallel lines.
Any plans for something similar for the Jewish Scriptures in Greek?
Ken M. Penner
St. Francis Xavier University
Ken M. Penner

Postby Alan Bunning » March 6th, 2014, 12:45 am

Ken M. Penner wrote:Any plans for something similar for the Jewish Scriptures in Greek?

It will take me quite some time to finish the things I already plan to do with this project. After that, I will just have to see how it goes...
Alan Bunning

Return to Projects