Am working on a Greek NT text/audio phone app

Tell us about interesting projects involving biblical Greek. Collaborative projects involving biblical Greek may use this forum for their communication - please contact jonathan.robie@ibiblio.org if you want to use this forum for your project.
steve_gallagher

Am working on a Greek NT text/audio phone app

Post by steve_gallagher »

I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am in the process of developing an Android app that shows the Greek NT text on the screen while the audio for the same plays. The phrases that are being read at that moment are highlighted in yellow, and the app automatically scrolls to the next verse as the reading proceeds. There is a play/pause button and navigation capabilities.

It's in the very early development stages. The intention is to make it a free app and permission is being sought for non-commercial distribution of the sources used. The text will be the 1904 Nestle Greek NT by BFBS which is in the public domain. If I obtain all the permissions, I might be willing to collaborate with others to speed up the completion. I actually don't have audio recordings for the whole NT yet. Anyone interested in collaborating should contact me, but it may be a while before I'm ready to share what I have. It will also be at least several months before Web space is made available to me for distribution of the app on Play Store.

If anyone knows for sure that I'm reinventing the wheel, I'd also appreciate being made aware of that.

Sincerely,

Steve Gallagher
Jonathan Robie

Re: Am working on a Greek NT text/audio phone app

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Excellent!

Incidentally, are you familiar with Faith Comes By Hearing? In what ways would your app be different from theirs? On my Android, they at least used to have problems with fonts, I will check that later today to see if it works now. If not, maybe you could give them a hand!
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Louis L Sorenson

Re: Am working on a Greek NT text/audio phone app

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

I have one suggestion, after reviewing the Logos app. It takes longer to visually analyze a word than to hear it (at least for Greek text (an L2)). So your app should be able to adjust speed, and also to highlight the word before one actually hears it. It would be good to have both those settings be adjustable.

As far as recordings, some are already available. Look at my page on NT audio recordings at http://www.letsreadgreek.com/Resources/greekntaudio.htm. There are three different pronunciation schemes for NT: Academic (Erasmian) of several variations, Restored Koine (Imperial Koine - 1st cent. A.D.), and Modern Greek.

Return to “Projects”