AT Robertson Grammar

Tell us about interesting projects involving biblical Greek. Collaborative projects involving biblical Greek may use this forum for their communication - please contact jonathan.robie@ibiblio.org if you want to use this forum for your project.
Louis L Sorenson

Re: AT Robertson Grammar

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

No, many points in the outline are missing. Just look at any Major section. e.g. Chapter VIII. Section VII. Only (g), (h), (i)
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

llsorenson wrote:No, many points in the outline are missing. Just look at any Major section. e.g. Chapter VIII. Section VII. Only (g), (h), (i)
I thought you were saying that the PDF generation was the problem. I suspect this is a problem with missing styles in the original document. The missing headers seem to be plain text in the original document, formatted to look like header styles. You can find these "imposter" headings by searching for places where the "Plain Text" style is used with the Cambria font. Setting each of these to the correct heading style should fix the problem.

In my word processor (OOWriter), these same points are missing in the detailed table of contents generated at the front - do they show up in the detailed table of contents generated by Microsoft Word?

If I generate a table of contents from the html elements h1 | h2 .... h6, the same elements are missing.

So I suspect this is an issue with the document itself, not specifically with PDF generation. And it will affect html generation as well.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Louis L Sorenson

The problem with the PDF TOC getting generated correctly is that Word's Navigation control is not catching all the Heading formatted text sections. I'm trying to figure out what's going on here. MS Word 's document map has some issues http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numberi ... ntmap.html. The document navigation model which is used for exporting headings to pdf applications is a different object than the TOC generation which works correctly. It may be that the paragraph characters which occur at the end of every line (a feature inherited from Ted Hildebrandt's document) is participating in Word's inability to export the TOC to a pdf directly.

Jonathan has been encouraging me to get ATR out of word and into xml. Which would be the best repository format for this book, before having a robust html version of it.

Here are some thoughts on fixing the TOC issue. In general, if Open Office can read it, other tools can use it. Once Open Office can generate the correct table of contents, we can probably convert cleanly. When I read your document with Open Office, the headers are all formatted correctly, but they
Try saving to .rtf, then reading the .rtf and generating a TOC. If you can do that, I can probably convert it cleanly for you from the .rtf (and it will probably fix any errors in the .doc).
Try saving to html, no matter how ugly that html is, and send me the results. I may be able to convert it to clean html using some tools I have.

That's what I'd try first
I have time this week to work on this. So good advice is needed. I'm half tempted to write a doc.exporttohtml function in Word which would export only the content and formatting to a textfile (html compliant) which would line up with the end-users's RobertsonCSS stylesheet. That way, all the TOC information, different header levels (Robertson uses an inconsistent outline format) and formatting (such as iltalic, bold) could be retained, along with a GRtext tag and HebText tag for Greek or Hebrew. Shouldn't the Robertson CSS stylesheet be created first? 3 languages, All Caps for titles, Greek in bold, italic font, some Greek superscript or subscripts, etc.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Here are several routes that are worth considering:
  • Save to RTF, read the result back, and see if you can correctly generate the table of contents. Also, change your view to show invisible characters, and make sure you don't have a paragraph marker for every line. Get me a copy, and I may be able to convert it to clean XML with relatively little effort.
  • Convert to HTML, with a generated table of contents. Any HTML that preserves the Unicode and the characters is probably fine, I can clean it up with htmltidy and such. A single huge page is easier to convert to XML than a series of smaller pages.
When we convert to XML, we have to decide which schema to use. The main contenders are TEI, OSIS, or possibly DocBook.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Louis L Sorenson

It has been about a year since I last updated the Grammar. I spent time correcting the footnotes this week. Next week I hope to programatically turn the indexes which now appear as one column into two separate columns so the flow works correctly. I'm still working with the MSWord document,and plan on using Visual Basic inside of Word to take care of those issues, along with deleting the h. At that point, the document needs to get over to Open Office so that a clean export into HTML can be made. Unless someone has a better idea,

The latest version can be found at http://www.letsreadgreek.org/resources/ ... ongrammar/

Return to “Projects”