Here's a summary of what has happened and what I have done:
1) APC was originally caching everything/php on ibiblio.org. The cache
was relatively small, and you'd get those nice out of memory errors when
it filled up.
2) I disabled, or rather, thought I had disabled APC for everything in
/public/html/bgreek. You kept getting memory errors.
3) I tweaked the caching settings and memory limits in APC and php.
Things were good for a time, and then you saw memory errors again. The
cache filled up.
4) I have just now disabled APC in a different manner (poor
documentation), after trying out half a dozen methods. I have confirmed
that nothing in /public/html/bgreek is making it into the APC cache.
So you should be set. I know this is the fourth time I've said that,
but it is also the fourth time I expected it. I don't see any bgreek
items in the cache though! Apologies for the run-around
Also, if you were curious as to why the memory errors were so difficult
to replicate (especially now, after I have tweaked the cache), it is
because two pieces of this puzzle - or rather, 6 - are variable.
ibiblio.org is handled by three servers, and each of those servers have
APC installed. So you could be hitting any of those servers with any
given request, and each have an APC that may have a full cache one
minute, but not the next.