Searching for a Greek Text on Greek Suffixes and Word Forms

Anything related to Biblical Greek that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Mike Baber

Searching for a Greek Text on Greek Suffixes and Word Forms

Post by Mike Baber »

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

Perhaps half a year ago, I was browsing the Internet doing some study on Greek suffixes and word forms. I came across a very good text which seemed to be written in the 20th century. Basically, the book had sections on suffixes, such as say, -ισμος, -σις, and it described the meaning of the suffixes. Anyway, I've not been fortunate enough to find it again; I should have saved it to my Favorites, but for some reason I had not. If someone knows of any Greek texts that talk about Greek word forms and suffixes, could you please share so maybe I can find this text again?
cwconrad

Re: Searching for a Greek Text on Greek Suffixes and Word Fo

Post by cwconrad »

Mike Baber wrote:Hello ladies and gentlemen,

Perhaps half a year ago, I was browsing the Internet doing some study on Greek suffixes and word forms. I came across a very good text which seemed to be written in the 20th century. Basically, the book had sections on suffixes, such as say, -ισμος, -σις, and it described the meaning of the suffixes. Anyway, I've not been fortunate enough to find it again; I should have saved it to my Favorites, but for some reason I had not. If someone knows of any Greek texts that talk about Greek word forms and suffixes, could you please share so maybe I can find this text again?
I would guess you've probably already consulted the middle section of Smyth's Greek Grammar, §§822-899.
http://perseus.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/phi ... Monographs
This has always seemed to me to be an invaluable repertory of the sort of information you're talking about.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Stephen Hughes

ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΙΚΗ ΤΗΣ ΑΡΧΑΙΑΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗΣ is in Greek for you

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Mike Baber wrote:If someone knows of any Greek texts that talk about Greek word forms and suffixes, could you please share ...
Try chapter 34 of this one:
ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΙΚΗ ΤΗΣ ΑΡΧΑΙΑΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗΣ[/quote]
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Evan Blackmore

Re: Searching for a Greek Text on Greek Suffixes and Word Fo

Post by Evan Blackmore »

The most comprehensive and wide-ranging treatment of Greek suffixes etc. known to me is in vol. 1 of Eduard Schwyzer's Griechische Grammatik (Munich: C. H. Beck); I have the 6th edition, 1990, though I don't know whether that's the most recent edition.

You might possibly have come across that on the Internet, as a Google search reveals that there are websites purporting to offer it as a free pdf, but I'd be doubtful of their legality. (The printed hardback costs a sizeable proportion of one's lifeblood.)

There's an older (1890s) German treatment of the subject in the Kühner-Blass Grammatik, which is readily available on many websites. It's similar to Smyth but fuller.

Someone's eye might be caught by the title of Lavergne's Diagnose des suffixes du Nouveau Testament (Paris: Lecoffre, 1977), but that's essentially a tabulation, not a work of grammatical analysis.

Return to “Other”