Op Ed on Haaretz on Jesus' Languages, Bibi, the Pope

Anything related to Biblical Greek that doesn't fit into the other forums.
RandallButh

Op Ed on Haaretz on Jesus' Languages, Bibi, the Pope

Post by RandallButh »

Last week the blogosphere and news agencies lit up with articles on Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu saying that Jesus spoke Hebrew and Pope Francis responding that he spoke Aramaic. The following is an Op Ed for Haaretz newspaper (Israeli's leading daily).

http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.596687

Why Jesus really was a Hebrew speaker
Hebrew, and not only Aramaic, was a spoken language at the time of Jesus, but PM Netanyahu’s exchange with the pope wasn’t only academic: It’s a debate with a clear religious and cultural subtext.
by Randall Buth
cwconrad

Re: Op Ed on Haaretz on Jesus' Languages, Bibi, the Pope

Post by cwconrad »

I would very much like to see and read the article but, alas, non-subscribers can only see a couple sentences of it.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

Interesting. It wasn't that way a few hours ago. But, yes, now when I try to view the article I get the same request for either subscribe or register. (I believe that registration allows 10 articles/month for free.)

Maybe I will be allowed to post the piece on the BLC website. It seems that one site, a "Streams in the Negev" has already copied the article en bloc.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Just read the Streams in the Negev article. Nice article.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

There is a little bit of a hijack on the 'Streams in the Negev' article.

After the credits and my name two more paragraphs are added, without attribution.

It sounds like a "P.S." from me, since it uses the first person and no one else is named. I have no idea who the anonymous person was who wrote the following:
"Anonymous" added and wrote after the article:
I have always thought that Jesus spoke Hebrew as the primary spoken language of the people in His day. If Nehemiah pulled out the hair because the returning Jews from Babylonian exile were speaking the language of Babylon (which I assume was Aramaic), and not the language of the Jewish people, then surely the Messiah Himself would be speaking the language of the Hebrew man. (At the same time, I also believe that the language of the original texts of the New Testament was Greek, with many Hebraisms, given that nearly all of the writers were Israeli Hebrew speakers who could also communicate in Greek, the universal language of the day. There are lots of Americanisms in my own Hebrew!)

Erasing Hebrew as the language of Jesus and of the Israelis in His day is similar to referring to Him living in Palestine, rather than in the Land of Israel, as mentioned in Matthew when His mother and foster father returned with Him from Egypt. This is, on the one hand a form of anti-semitism; and on the other hand the righteousness of God: Israel wants to blot out the name and memory of Yeshua; the nations want to blot out Israel from being a nation anymore. Thanks and praise to God for our Redeemer and Savior to deliver us from the wrath to come!
for the original Ha-aretz article try googling "Jesus, Bibi, Hebrew, Pope" and choosing the ha-aretz link. It came up 5th when I tried, and the link coming from a Google search seems to work and go through the 'subscriber' filter. Or try googling "Why Jesus Hebrew Speaker"
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

follow up on getting to the original article:

apparently, a Facebook link opens the whole article, too.
Go to the following Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/biblicallangua ... comments=2
and click on the the top link "BLC's Randall Buth responds to the Jesus language debate. Read his article in Haaretz: . . ."
Arne Halbakken

Post by Arne Halbakken »

The owner of the Streams in the Desert website was happy to clarify the ending paragraphs after Randall Buth's article ("Why Jesus Was a Hebrew-speaker") so that it did not appear that Randall wrote them.

http://streamsinthenegev.com/latest-new ... june-2014/

Arne Halbakken
Mark Lightman

Post by Mark Lightman »

Romana locuta est, causa finata est. :D
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Mark Lightman wrote:Romana locuta est, causa finata est. :D
corrigendum: "finita." :o And who is "the Roman woman?" Roma... I would also use a "dixit" for formal pronouncements.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

Irony also depends on knowing the expected response.
Otherwise someone might think that Jesus spoke Erasmian.

Return to “Other”