Need NT Greek Text as an "ascii file"

Anything related to Biblical Greek that doesn't fit into the other forums.
GlennDean

Need NT Greek Text as an "ascii file"

Post by GlennDean »

Hi:

I was wondering if anyone knew of a download for the NT Greek Text but as an "ascii file". For example, whenever ᾿Ιησοῦ appears in the NT Greek the text file would have ")Ihsou=" (which is what I would type in at typegreek.com or http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph for ᾿Ιησοῦ).

The text file for Matthew would start off like this:

Bi/blos gene/sews )Ihsou=

Thanxs in advance,

Glenn
Louis L Sorenson

Re: Need NT Greek Text as an "ascii file"

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

What you are looking for is a textfile of the GNT which is in Betacode transliteration. If you are looking for the file word by word, you can get it at http://morphgnt.org/. Or you could copy the Greek Unicode text, such as found on the German Bible Society's website or Bible Gateway and then paste that text into the Greek text converter at Katabiblon.com. and use the 'Convert Only' option to turn the Unicode text into Ascii.

Why do you need the text in ascii? That is old technology. Typing the original language in transliteration is prone to error and really makes other users jump through hoops. I do use betacode when I type Greek characters directly (I use Tavultesoft Keyman, but I have been chided by such as Randall Buth that I should be using a Greek Keyboard (i.e. the Greek Keyboard provided with MS Windows) to type Greek.
GlennDean

Post by GlennDean »

Thanxs Louis! That was exactly what I was looking for!

I need the text file with Betacode just to play around with accents and stuff. Something I would do is to test the accent rule that goes something like "If the ultima is long, then the antepenult can NOT be stressed". So I would feed all 139000+ words in the NT Greek into my program and test this rule to see if it is valid. Then I would add to my list of accent rules (for example add the rule "If the ultima is long and the penult is long and is stressed, it must receive an acute accent").

An interesting word is contained in James 1:1, namely διασπορᾷ (an interesting question is why does the "short alpha" have a circumflex and how many times do short vowels have circumflexes?? Did the Ancients think of the α as long (since normally it would have morphed to an η, which is long, in the singular dative), but kept it as α because of the preceding ρ?

Again, thanks for the link - that was great!

Glenn
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

You could do that with Unicode too, either by (1) using a dictionary that identifies the accent for accented forms, or (2) decomposing the Unicode to NFD. See Unicode Polytonic Greek for the World Wide Web for details on this.

No need to go back to the days of Beta Code ...
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

GlennDean wrote:An interesting word is contained in James 1:1, namely διασπορᾷ (an interesting question is why does the "short alpha" have a circumflex and how many times do short vowels have circumflexes?? Did the Ancients think of the α as long (since normally it would have morphed to an η, which is long, in the singular dative), but kept it as α because of the preceding ρ?
What made you think that the alpha in διασπορᾷ is short? It's short in the nominative and accusative, but long in the genitive and dative; this is a dative singular form.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
GlennDean

Post by GlennDean »

cwconrad wrote:What made you think that the alpha in διασπορᾷ is short?
thanxs for pointing that out - I thought (incorrectly) that α was always short (but I should of known it was long because of the circumflex),

Glenn
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

GlennDean wrote:An interesting word is contained in James 1:1, namely διασπορᾷ (an interesting question is why does the "short alpha" have a circumflex and how many times do short vowels have circumflexes?? Did the Ancients think of the α as long (since normally it would have morphed to an η, which is long, in the singular dative), but kept it as α because of the preceding ρ?
Yeah, there is a phenomenon called "Attic reversion" which refers to the fact that the long alpha ᾱ did not become an eta η after ρ, ε, and ι. So there is still a long alpha in the Attic and early Koine vowel system.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Other”