Can you read ligatures?

Anything related to Biblical Greek that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Jonathan Robie

Can you read ligatures?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

A friend of mine, Michael Sperberg-McQueen, is working on a text that includes Greek with ligatures. I'm not at all used to reading ligatures, so words like the following are very difficult for me to decipher:

I helped him transliterate some texts, then he managed to find a font for Renaissance Greek by Vernon Eugene Kooy with a chart explaining the ligatures. He used that to tentatively transliterate some other words.

Is anyone here good at reading Greek with ligatures? Can you identify the text for the words that we were unable to transliterate, and correct the words that are wrong here?

Here's his current transliteration.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
cwconrad

Re: Can you read ligatures?

Post by cwconrad »

I'm not altogether sure what's wanted here. I'm willing to go through the documented posted at the indicated URL and check it over; I think I can make sense of it. You're not asking, are you, to have responses posted in a thread here? Or are you? And if not, where should suggested corrections go?
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Jonathan Robie

Re: Can you read ligatures?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

cwconrad wrote:I'm not altogether sure what's wanted here. I'm willing to go through the documented posted at the indicated URL and check it over; I think I can make sense of it. You're not asking, are you, to have responses posted in a thread here? Or are you? And if not, where should suggested corrections go?
I hadn't thought that through. Perhaps the best approach is for me to start an email on this. If anyone else wants to participate, please send me a PM or email me at jonathan dot robie at ibiblio.org.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Other”