Edger Krentz cited recently

Anything related to Biblical Greek that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Stirling Bartholomew

Edger Krentz cited recently

Post by Stirling Bartholomew » June 25th, 2015, 2:56 pm

I have been reading books which critique historical criticism for several decades and this morning was wading through the introduction to

Politicizing the Bible:The Roots of Historical Criticism and the Secularization of Scripture, 1300-1700
By Scott W. Hahn, Benjamin Wiker
Book - 2013

The name of a long time member of this forum often appears while reading on this subject in reference to a work published 40 years ago[1]. Hahn & Wiker cite Edger Krentz several times in the first chapter of their book.

[1]The historical-critical method, Edgar Krentz
Publisher: Philadelphia : Fortress Press, ©1975.
0 x

C. Stirling Bartholomew

Stephen Carlson

Re: Edger Krentz cited recently

Post by Stephen Carlson » June 25th, 2015, 7:11 pm

Stirling Bartholomew wrote:The name of a long time member of this forum often appears while reading on this subject in reference to a work published 40 years ago[1]. Hahn & Wiker cite Edger Krentz several times in the first chapter of their book.

I cited this very book on page 3, note 4, of my recent monograph.
0 x
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

cwconrad

Post by cwconrad » June 26th, 2015, 7:58 am

Stirling Bartholomew wrote:I have been reading books which critique historical criticism for several decades and this morning was wading through the introduction to

Politicizing the Bible:The Roots of Historical Criticism and the Secularization of Scripture, 1300-1700
By Scott W. Hahn, Benjamin Wiker
Book - 2013

The name of a long time member of this forum often appears while reading on this subject in reference to a work published 40 years ago[1]. Hahn & Wiker cite Edger Krentz several times in the first chapter of their book.

I remember this little book well, along with several others published by a Lutheran-associated Fortress Press in the same series (Guides to Biblical Scholarship: New Testament Series); it was a rather brief introduction to the emergence and general characteristics of the method. Several of these brief introductions to a NT critical discipline (Textual Criticism, Source Criticism, Redaction Criticism, etc.), as I recall, were written by scholars involved in the great Seminex upheaval at Concordia Seminary in St. Louis in 1974. I wasn't a participant, but I had a first-hand observer's view from neighboring Washington University.
0 x
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)

Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew » June 26th, 2015, 1:14 pm

cwconrad wrote: I remember this little book well, along with several others published by a Lutheran-associated Fortress Press in the same series (Guides to Biblical Scholarship: New Testament Series); it was a rather brief introduction to the emergence and general characteristics of the method. Several of these brief introductions to a NT critical discipline (Textual Criticism, Source Criticism, Redaction Criticism, etc.), as I recall, were written by scholars involved in the great Seminex upheaval at Concordia Seminary in St. Louis in 1974. I wasn't a participant, but I had a first-hand observer's view from neighboring Washington University.
And there has been a mountain of similar books published since then. I wasn't aware of the Seminex upheaval at Concordia Seminary, but I certainly heard about black saturday at Fuller and the Exodus of Carl F Henry, Gleason Archer and others which started a decade earlier. And it isn't over yet, as Mike Licona discovered when he published his book on the Resurrection in 2011. I remember complaining to Ralph H Alexander, about having to study every page of R K Harrison's Intro to OT and other books on subjects like form criticism. I found the topic dry as dust and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Unlike Bart Ehrman who's testimony is known to the entire world, I didn't come to seminary unprepared for secular biblical studies. I was a hard core Francis Schaeffer disciple for five years before showing up at seminary. So there was no big disillusionment when I encountered the prevailing secularism in biblical studies.
Last edited by Stirling Bartholomew on June 26th, 2015, 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew » June 26th, 2015, 1:33 pm

Stephen Carlson wrote:
Stirling Bartholomew wrote: I cited this very book on page 3, note 4, of my recent monograph.
I found the citation in your monograph, The Text of Galatians and Its History 2012, which I downloaded a week ago. Going to see if I can get a hard copy from some University Lib, for aesthetic reasons I prefer reading bound books.
0 x
C. Stirling Bartholomew