Edger Krentz cited recently

Anything related to Biblical Greek that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Stirling Bartholomew

Edger Krentz cited recently

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

I have been reading books which critique historical criticism for several decades and this morning was wading through the introduction to

Politicizing the Bible:The Roots of Historical Criticism and the Secularization of Scripture, 1300-1700
By Scott W. Hahn, Benjamin Wiker
Book - 2013

The name of a long time member of this forum often appears while reading on this subject in reference to a work published 40 years ago[1]. Hahn & Wiker cite Edger Krentz several times in the first chapter of their book.

[1]The historical-critical method, Edgar Krentz
Publisher: Philadelphia : Fortress Press, ©1975.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Stephen Carlson

Re: Edger Krentz cited recently

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote:The name of a long time member of this forum often appears while reading on this subject in reference to a work published 40 years ago[1]. Hahn & Wiker cite Edger Krentz several times in the first chapter of their book.

I cited this very book on page 3, note 4, of my recent monograph.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote:I have been reading books which critique historical criticism for several decades and this morning was wading through the introduction to

Politicizing the Bible:The Roots of Historical Criticism and the Secularization of Scripture, 1300-1700
By Scott W. Hahn, Benjamin Wiker
Book - 2013

The name of a long time member of this forum often appears while reading on this subject in reference to a work published 40 years ago[1]. Hahn & Wiker cite Edger Krentz several times in the first chapter of their book.

I remember this little book well, along with several others published by a Lutheran-associated Fortress Press in the same series (Guides to Biblical Scholarship: New Testament Series); it was a rather brief introduction to the emergence and general characteristics of the method. Several of these brief introductions to a NT critical discipline (Textual Criticism, Source Criticism, Redaction Criticism, etc.), as I recall, were written by scholars involved in the great Seminex upheaval at Concordia Seminary in St. Louis in 1974. I wasn't a participant, but I had a first-hand observer's view from neighboring Washington University.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Stirling Bartholomew

cwconrad wrote: I remember this little book well, along with several others published by a Lutheran-associated Fortress Press in the same series (Guides to Biblical Scholarship: New Testament Series); it was a rather brief introduction to the emergence and general characteristics of the method. Several of these brief introductions to a NT critical discipline (Textual Criticism, Source Criticism, Redaction Criticism, etc.), as I recall, were written by scholars involved in the great Seminex upheaval at Concordia Seminary in St. Louis in 1974. I wasn't a participant, but I had a first-hand observer's view from neighboring Washington University.
And there has been a mountain of similar books published since then. I wasn't aware of the Seminex upheaval at Concordia Seminary, but I certainly heard about black saturday at Fuller and the Exodus of Carl F Henry, Gleason Archer and others which started a decade earlier. And it isn't over yet, as Mike Licona discovered when he published his book on the Resurrection in 2011. I remember complaining to Ralph H Alexander, about having to study every page of R K Harrison's Intro to OT and other books on subjects like form criticism. I found the topic dry as dust and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Unlike Bart Ehrman who's testimony is known to the entire world, I didn't come to seminary unprepared for secular biblical studies. I was a hard core Francis Schaeffer disciple for five years before showing up at seminary. So there was no big disillusionment when I encountered the prevailing secularism in biblical studies.
Last edited by Stirling Bartholomew on June 26th, 2015, 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Stirling Bartholomew

Stephen Carlson wrote:
Stirling Bartholomew wrote: I cited this very book on page 3, note 4, of my recent monograph.
I found the citation in your monograph, The Text of Galatians and Its History 2012, which I downloaded a week ago. Going to see if I can get a hard copy from some University Lib, for aesthetic reasons I prefer reading bound books.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Return to “Other”