English Word Order Example

Anything related to Biblical Greek that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Wes Wood

English Word Order Example

Post by Wes Wood »

This is a news article about subconscious English word order rules. I was envious of the sample instructional material. If only I had such a thing for Greek.
http://qz.com/773738/how-non-english-sp ... urce=atlfb
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
MAubrey

Re: English Word Order Example

Post by MAubrey »

You can file this word order under "things are that kind of true, but not really."

The Language Log gave a post to the tweet that this article is based on: http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=27890
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

I wasn't under the impression that this was anything other than an amusing story that happens to be largely true. Besides, I have it on good authority that you can make adjectives do whatever you want them to, but you have to mind the verbs. :D
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Wes Wood wrote:If only I had such a thing for Greek.
People don't seem to discuss word-order for Greek, so much as they discuss parts of speech order.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

Stephen Hughes wrote:
Wes Wood wrote:If only I had such a thing for Greek.
People don't seem to discuss word-order for Greek, so much as they discuss parts of speech order.
Right? :lol: And they seem to analyze sentences with the least distribution of parts of speech possible. With all due respect, though, this type of analysis is an enormous task.

Return to “Other”