English Word Order Example

Anything related to Biblical Greek that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Wes Wood

English Word Order Example

Post by Wes Wood » September 7th, 2016, 9:22 pm

This is a news article about subconscious English word order rules. I was envious of the sample instructional material. If only I had such a thing for Greek.
http://qz.com/773738/how-non-english-sp ... urce=atlfb
0 x

Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ

MAubrey

Re: English Word Order Example

Post by MAubrey » September 7th, 2016, 11:10 pm

You can file this word order under "things are that kind of true, but not really."

The Language Log gave a post to the tweet that this article is based on: http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=27890
0 x
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
Koine-Greek.com

Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood » September 7th, 2016, 11:49 pm

I wasn't under the impression that this was anything other than an amusing story that happens to be largely true. Besides, I have it on good authority that you can make adjectives do whatever you want them to, but you have to mind the verbs. :D
0 x
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ

Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes » September 8th, 2016, 8:37 am

Wes Wood wrote:If only I had such a thing for Greek.
People don't seem to discuss word-order for Greek, so much as they discuss parts of speech order.
0 x
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood » September 8th, 2016, 11:06 pm

Stephen Hughes wrote:
Wes Wood wrote:If only I had such a thing for Greek.
People don't seem to discuss word-order for Greek, so much as they discuss parts of speech order.
Right? :lol: And they seem to analyze sentences with the least distribution of parts of speech possible. With all due respect, though, this type of analysis is an enormous task.
0 x