The Mount Rushmore of B-Greek

Anything related to Biblical Greek that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Mark Lightman

The Mount Rushmore of B-Greek

Post by Mark Lightman »

The Mount Rushmore of the study of biblical Greek: Erasmus, Walter Bauer, Randall Buth and Daniel Wallace.

The Mount Rushmore of the Bible: Jesus, Moses, David and Paul.

The Mount Rushmore of Greek writers: Homer, Homer, Homer and Homer.

The Mount Rushmore of B-Greek: Carl Conrad, Randall Buth, George Somsel and Jonathan Robie.

The Mount Rushmore of the New York Yankees: Ruth, DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle and Mariano Rivera.

The Mount Rushmore of New Testament Greek lexigraphy: Bauer, Danker, Thayer and Barclay Newman.

The Mount Rushmore of grammar/translation: Mounce, Machen, Zerwick and A.T. Robertson.

The Mount Rushmore of communicative use: John Stewart Blackie, W.H.D. Rouse, Randall Buth and Christophe Rico.

The Mount Rushmore of New Testament Greek translation: Jerome, Luther, Eugene Peterson and Ann Nyland.

ὑπὸ Φωσφόρου Μάρκου.
cwconrad

Re: The Mount Rushmore of B-Greek

Post by cwconrad »

I've already had an off-forum discussion of "Mount Rushmores" with regard to baseball franchises. I really don't think this is a very useful or helpful game to play. It is inevitably subjective and it is inevitably skewed to the time-period when such selections are being made. It would be more straightforward and candid, I think, if such lists were labeled "my current favorites in such-and such categories." Of course such lists are intended to invite others to list their own favorites. Personally, I'm both amused and insulted by the ubiquitous internet sites with buttons to click to indicate that one "likes" this entry.

So: opinions have been solicited. That's mine.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

We have a link to the Mount Rushmore of B-Greek. We have an amazing group of moderators, and its their expertise in Greek that makes this such an attractive place.

We also have some amazing people who are participants but not moderators. They also belong on that mountain.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
George F Somsel

Post by George F Somsel »

You forgot Jeter, and I'm not so sure that I belong on that mountain, but thanks for the thought.
george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
learn truth, love truth, speak the truth, hold the truth,
defend the truth till death.

- Jan Hus

Return to “Other”