Ian Clemens Intro

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Ikclemen

Ian Clemens Intro

Post by Ikclemen »

My name is Ian Clemens and I live in Central Florida, a bit northeast of Orlando. I studied 3 semesters of Koine at Regent College in Vancouver back in the late 90’s. In 2007 I decided it was ridiculous to let the learning go to waste and so picked it up again and worked my way through Mounce’s Basics of Biblical Greek as well as the workbook. At the time, my wife and I were splitting our time between Lansing, Michigan and Florida, and in Lansing I met a good neighbor, Stephen Pribble, who invited me to read with him and Dennis Kenaga. (Stephen is a pastor, Dennis a true polyglot, and I am a software entrepreneur). And so a many year friendship developed and together we’ve read through quite a few books from the GNT and LXX, all using modern Greek pronunciation. In my own personal Bible reading, I’ve also fallen in love with the Koine and daily read from the GNT and often the LXX as well.

In parallel to our years of reading, and even previous to, Dennis had been working on a functional greek grammar of the GNT. The idea caught fire among the three of us, and this year we formed a Michigan non-profit to develop this grammar and database into software for the Koine community. Our project can be found at our work-in-progress website, greeknewtestament.io

We look forward to being a part of this community.

Ian Clemens
GreekNewTestament.io
><((((°>
Ian Clemens
GreekNewTestament.io
ἀνοίξαντος δέ σου τὴν χεῖρα τὰ σύμπαντα πλησθήσονται χρηστότητος
Jonathan Robie

Re: Ian Clemens Intro

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Excellent, and welcome to B-Greek!

Will your data be freely licensed and openly available?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Ikclemen

Post by Ikclemen »

Thanks for the welcome, Jonathan. Our effort is a labor of love, and we want to make the end products as accessible as possible. That being said, We have not determined yet what the products will look like and how we will make them available. We are following lean software principles, and going through many iterations. One of the things we will be looking for is feedback from the community, including this one, to help us get it right.
Ian Clemens
GreekNewTestament.io
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Ikclemen wrote: June 13th, 2018, 6:46 amI studied 3 semesters of Koine at Regent College in Vancouver back in the late 90’s.
Ian, I feel that because you were at Regent College in the late 90's I might have taught you. IIRC, I was the teaching assistant for Intro. Greek there in 1997-1998. But I don't remember many names!
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Ikclemen

Post by Ikclemen »

Hi Ken,
I do remember you from Regent! (and your wife; was it Linda?) I was at Regent 1996-1998. I had Brad Eastman as my instructor for year 1 and, perhaps, Dave Diewert for my 3rd semester of Intermediate, but my memory is fuzzy on that.

Thanks for the note.
Ian Clemens
GreekNewTestament.io

Return to “Introductions”