Gary Simmons

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
GarySimmons

Gary Simmons

Post by GarySimmons »

Hello!

I hail from the United States. Thus far, I've taken three years of traditional seminary courses in biblical Greek, yet I've supplemented that with five years of training on my own since then. Although I've somewhat internalized an Erasmian pronunciation, I'll give it παση σπουδη to break myself of that habit.

Though I've had several years of training, I do not have a formal degree at the moment. I would love the opportunity to return to college and move on to work as a professor someday. αλλα πας συμβαινει δια θεληματος θεου. On a side note: does anyone have advice for typing in Greek with Windows 7? The Polytonic Greek keyboard is somewhat complicated in that accent keys are hit prior to the letter they modify, and it does not contain every combination.

I remember seeing B-Greek before as the text of a mailing list. I didn't follow it because, well, it was an eyesore and I was not εμπειρος enough to contribute to the discussion when last I heard of B-Greek. Did you guys just get a forum last May? Congratulations!
Stephen Carlson

Re: Gary Simmons

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Welcome to the list, Gary! I hope you find it enjoyable here.
GarySimmons wrote:On a side note: does anyone have advice for typing in Greek with Windows 7? The Polytonic Greek keyboard is somewhat complicated in that accent keys are hit prior to the letter they modify, and it does not contain every combination.
I use the Windows polytonic Greek keyboard regularly, and as far as I am aware, it does contain every combination you'll ever need. Each combination of accents and breathings has its own key, so ἅ is ?a, not ";a (or "qa). The Left-ALT key is used a lot to get the iota subscript. There are keyboard maps online, so just search for them and you should find a whole list of them.

Stephen
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Introductions”