Joe Creedon

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Joe Creedon

Joe Creedon

Post by Joe Creedon »

Hi

I'm Joe and I have been teaching myself Greek for just over a year now. I completed Learn New Testament Greek by John Dobson a few months ago, and right now I'm making my way through Athenaze Book I. I can read much of the New Testament (using an interlinear translation) with confidence, but I would like to branch out and read works outside the New Testament. My main interest is philosophy so I took a crack at The Republic and it just was not happening. Does anyone out there have suggestions of authentic works, philosophic or otherwise, that would be good for a relative neophyte like me?
Louis L Sorenson

Re: Joe Creedon

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

Welcome Joe,

If you are interested in philosophy, the New Testament, and Koine Greek, then you need to try to read some of Epictetus. Epictetus was a Stoic philosopher of the 1st-2nd centuries. Epictetus' works are in literary Koine, the same Greek as the New Testament. He uses many phrases and wordings that occur throughout the NT. You can find some more about him at http://www.letsreadgreek.com/epictetus (my site). If you go to the Reading Schedule on those pages you will find some helps for reading his Enchiridion.
Joe Creedon

Re: Joe Creedon

Post by Joe Creedon »

Thank you Louis. This website is amazing. I can't wait to start reading Epictetus.

A few years ago I read Bart Ehrman's book Jesus: Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millennium. In it he mentions briefly (and dismisses) a theory that there was a dialogue between Stoicism and early Christianity, and that the historical Jesus himself might have been influenced by stoic thought. Are you familiar with this theory, and if so, do you give it any credence?

Return to “Introductions”