James D. Ernest

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
James Ernest

James D. Ernest

Post by James Ernest »

Senior acquisitions editor, Baker Academic and Brazos Press; adjunct instructor in historical theology, Calvin Theological Seminary
PhD, Boston College; MA, Classical Studies, Boston University; MDiv, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary; BA, Wheaton College, IL

I first started trying to study Greek when I was a high school student, using a Strong's Concordance and an interlinear Greek New Testament (long since ditched) that I mail-ordered from Baker Book House. Didn't get very far until I went to Wheaton and took Greek classes as part of my philosophy and ancient language studies double major. At Gordon-Conwell Seminary, I taught Greek to seminarians for three years (under the supervision of B-GREEKER Rod Whitacre) and took all the NT exegesis I could get. Then I spent two years at Boston University reading Greek and Latin texts and teaching undergraduate Latin. After a hiatus during which I worked in publishing, got married, and translated the Spicq Theological Lexicon of the NT, I entered the Boston College-Andover-Newton Joint Doctoral program. My dissertation on Scripture in the writings of Athanasius was published by Brill and reprinted SBL. While ABD at BC, I went to work as an editor for Hendrickson Publishers. After seven years there, I moved in 2003 to Baker Publishing Group, where I acquire books in New Testament, patristics, and history of Christian life and thought--and biblical Greek. On the side I do some adjunct teaching for Calvin Seminary--mostly a fourth-century theology seminar for Calvin's doctoral students. I write small pieces now and then. The next opusculum to see the light of day will be the little section titled Heilige Schrift in the Athanasius Handbuch that Mohr Siebeck will publish this summer.

Seems to me I've been a member of B-GREEK forever. I very much appreciate not only the knowledge that is shared but also and especially the κοινωνία.
-------------------------------------------
James D. Ernest, PhD
VP, Editor-in-Chief
Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.
Grand Rapids, MI

-------------------------------------------

Return to “Introductions”