Evan Blackmore

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Evan Blackmore

Evan Blackmore

Post by Evan Blackmore »

Hello,

I've been reading B-Greek fairly regularly for quite a while, although I've only just registered.

Relevant CV: I began learning Greek in 1974. I also make mistakes in about a dozen other languages. Nowadays I'm mainly a maker of books (e.g. annotated editions with facing translation of standard literary & philosophical texts). In press at the moment is a commentary on Leviticus (800 pp; I like large projects). Almost all my publications have been in collaboration with my wife. We're based in Australia.
Scott Lawson

Re: Evan Blackmore

Post by Scott Lawson »

Evan Blackmore wrote:Relevant CV: I began learning Greek in 1974. I also make mistakes in about a dozen other languages.
Evan, ἠ Ἑλληνικός σκολιῶς μανθάνω ἔτος τόδ' ἤδη εἴκοσι. Μὴ δὴ ἐντεῖλη με κατὰ τὸ ὀρθὸν ποιεῖν! Ἔχω ἔγω ἐμπειρία! Ἔτος εἰς ἔτος μανθάνω ἡ γλῶττα ἀνακριβώς! Ὅτι μὰλιστα ἔστιν ἐμπειρία! ;-)

Evan, for twenty years now I've been learning Greek the wrong way. Don't tell me how to do it right...I have experience! Year after year I have learned the language wrong - now that's experience! ;-)

Scotty
Scott Lawson
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Scott Lawson wrote:
Evan Blackmore wrote:Relevant CV: I began learning Greek in 1974. I also make mistakes in about a dozen other languages.
Evan, ἠ Ἑλληνικός σκολιῶς μανθάνω ἔτος τόδ' ἤδη εἴκοσι. Μὴ δὴ ἐντεῖλη με κατὰ τὸ ὀρθὸν ποιεῖν! Ἔχω ἔγω ἐμπειρία! Ἔτος εἰς ἔτος μανθάνω ἡ γλῶττα ἀνακριβώς! Ὅτι μὰλιστα ἔστιν ἐμπειρία! ;-)

Evan, for twenty years now I've been learning Greek the wrong way. Don't tell me how to do it right...I have experience! Year after year I have learned the language wrong - now that's experience! ;-)

Scotty
Hi Scott! If you don't mind, I see quite some errors in your Greek, and I hope someone can correct my attempt :)
ω ιωαννης την ελληνικην γλωσσαν ουκ ορθως εμαθον ηδη εικοσι ετη μη ουν εντειλαι με κατα το ορθον ποιειν διοτι εμπειριαν εχω ετος κατ ετος μη μαθων ορθως την γλωσσαν και γε αυτη εστιν εμπειρια
δαυιδ λιμ
Scott Lawson

Post by Scott Lawson »

David Lim wrote:την ελληνικην γλωσσαν ουκ ορθως εμαθον ηδη εικοσι ετη
Hey David! So you don't like my use of μανθάνω as a present of past action? I see that I should have used the accusative τὴν Ἑλληνικὸν (ὴν or ὸν for the accusative ending? ) rather than the nominative. Also, isn't την ελληνικην γλωσσαν a pleonasm? And if I get everything perfect does my tongue-in-cheek remark work as well? :D

Scotty
Scott Lawson
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Scott Lawson wrote:So you don't like my use of μανθάνω as a present of past action?
I just felt it was not quite right given that it seemed you wanted to imply that it was in the past that you didn't know how to learn, and that now you do. But really I don't know, which is why I also want others to correct me.
Scott Lawson wrote:I see that I should have used the accusative τὴν Ἑλληνικὸν (ὴν or ὸν for the accusative ending? ) rather than the nominative.
The accusative feminine is "ελληνικην". You need the feminine article and declension of the adjective because "language (tongue)" is "γλωσσαν" which is feminine. (See http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/project/f ... on-16.html for the class of adjectives that contain "ελληνικος". Other classes use different declensions.)
Scott Lawson wrote:Also, isn't την ελληνικην γλωσσαν a pleonasm?
Perhaps, but I like being precise.
Scott Lawson wrote:And if I get everything perfect does my tongue-in-cheek remark work as well? :D
I don't know. I guess it should get through.
δαυιδ λιμ

Return to “Introductions”