Greetings!

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Brooke Jones

Greetings!

Post by Brooke Jones »

Hello everyone. :) My name is Brooke. In the next couple weeks I am finishing second-year New Testament Greek at my Christian college. I really want to keep up with Greek and get to a place where I can comfortably read the Bible in Greek. Does anyone have suggestions about what steps I should take next, or helpful resources to get me reading Greek?
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Greetings!

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Greetings to you Brooke. If you go back through the various postings to this forum since it switched to this format from an email-list format, you'll see a number of postings which address your question. The main point is this: the more Greek to which you are exposed, the better you will get at reading Greek and and the longer it will profit you. In addition to reading biblical Greek, it is also quite helpful to read as much extra-biblical Greek as possible. So read Greek every day, even if you can only squeeze a small amount out of another wise busy day. If your college offers more Greek beyond the second year level, take advantage of that as well.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Paul-Nitz

Post by Paul-Nitz »

The core principle that I would keep in mind is this:

Find a way to take the language as genuine communication.

Like most, you'll probably be alone in your study. Here are some ideas...
  • Gesturing the text as you read or memorize.
    Listening to audio recordings and trying to internally 'dialogue' with the text.
    Speaking Koine.
    Taking small portions (1-2 verses) and reading, studying, speaking them until you are able to "tell" the text (speaking with understanding).
If you have friends who are studying Greek with you, there are other things you could do which could be very useful.

If we continue the discussion, take it over to the "Teaching and Learning" section of this forum.
Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Brooke Jones wrote:Hello everyone. :) My name is Brooke. In the next couple weeks I am finishing second-year New Testament Greek at my Christian college. I really want to keep up with Greek and get to a place where I can comfortably read the Bible in Greek. Does anyone have suggestions about what steps I should take next, or helpful resources to get me reading Greek?
Welcome to B-Greek.
Read - read - read
Read some each day.
Start with the GNT, make notes of vocabulary and grammar as you go along.
Grosvenor & Zerwick ("An analysis of the GNT" - Biblical Institute Press, Rome) is a useful resource

Return to “Introductions”