Back after many years.

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.

Back after many years.

Postby Don Woolery » October 24th, 2013, 1:34 am

HellIo,my name is Don Woolery, from Oklahoma, and, as Jonathan says, "I AM a little greek!"
Don Woolery

Re: Back after many years.

Postby Jonathan Robie » October 25th, 2013, 12:39 pm

Welcome back, Don!

I got a PM asking about the little Greek reference, so for those who don't go back as far as Don ... I used to call myself the Little Greek, and sometimes still do. Here is what I mean by that:

What is a little Greek?

A "Little Greek" is someone who is still learning Greek. The phrase originated when someone on the B-Greek Mailing List suggested that "a little Greek is a dangerous thing". I replied that I am a Little Greek, and I am dangerous, but so are some of the Big Greeks. Most Greek grammars say a few things that are completely wrong, and most noted authorities on the Greek language have said at least one stupid thing. But there is good news: even Really Incredibly Awesome Big Greeks can be Little Greeks too, as long as they realize one thing:

Ἔχομεν δὲ τὸν θησαυρὸν τοῦτον ἐν ὀστρακίνοις σκεύεσιν, ἵνα ἡ ὑπερβολὴ τῆς δυνάμεως ᾖ τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ μὴ ἐξ ἡμῶν. (2 Cor 4:7)

Those who don't know aren't dangerous; those who insist they do know are very dangerous. This is just as true for Really Big Greeks as for Little Greeks. Each of us knows only in part; if we want to profit by studying Greek, we must have the humility and the patience to learn one step at a time, to be corrected by others, and be open to the Spirit who guides us in all truth.

I see B-Greek as a place where we all know in part, and all learn from each other.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
Jonathan Robie

Re: Back after many years.

Postby Barry Hofstetter » October 26th, 2013, 8:08 am

I know a little Hebrew,
and I know a little Greek.
One owns a pizza shop,
the other sweeps the street.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
ἐγὼ δὲ διδάσκώ τε καὶ γράφω ἵνα τὰ ἀξιώτερα μανθάνω
Barry Hofstetter