Patrick Maxwell

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Patrick Maxwell

Patrick Maxwell

Post by Patrick Maxwell »

Hi everyone, my name is Patrick Maxwell (I am an old retired fellow in South Africa). My wife and I have been learning koine Greek in a small class given by someone at the local Baptist church. Wenham's "Elements" is the book that is referred to the most. The next section of our syllabus is the MI verbs, so wish us luck. We have started taking people's advice to READ thru various passages in the Greek NT in order to make the grammatical material come alive.

I try to keep in touch with interesting and relevant stuff on the Web e.g. Ted Hildebrandt's books and videos, the SBLGNT/Lexham Reverse Interlinear, the blogs of Rod Decker, Stephen Carlson and Mike Aubrey (though much is WAY above my head), and so on. Whenever I see the words "Porter, Fanning, verbal aspect, Runge, discourse grammar" I run away and hide my head under a blanket. The mind is willing but the brain is now much slower than it used to be.

There are two Greek-related stories that I love: the tale of John Brown of Haddington, the shepherd who learned Greek virtually by himself, and the story of C.S. Lewis and his experience with the Knock (his tutor), who dumped Lewis in the deep end of Homer studies and ultimately did him a favor.

All the best,
Patrick
κατα μικρον, κατα ὀλιγον
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Patrick Maxwell

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Greetings, Patrick, and welcome. I remember both those stories well, and with regard to Brown, greatly admired him but was glad I had the classroom context for my own studies. Old and retired you may be, but fresh and young when it comes to Greek. Feel free to jump into any discussion and ask any questions -- we are a very helpful bunch, and your favorite blog writers also haunt this forum.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Hefin J. Jones

Re: Patrick Maxwell

Post by Hefin J. Jones »

Patrick Maxwell wrote:Hi everyone, my name is Patrick Maxwell (I am an old retired fellow in South Africa). My wife and I have been learning koine Greek in a small class given by someone at the local Baptist church.
I must have hung around the 'wrong' Baptists when I lived there in '91-'94. ;-)

Welcome!
Hefin Jones

instructor in New Testament - Koinonia Theological Seminary, Davao

Return to “Introductions”