Introduction

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Rolf Furuli

Introduction

Post by Rolf Furuli »

My name is Rolf Furuli, and I live in the small town Stavern on the southern coast of Norway.I was a member of the b-Greek for many years from the 1990s. Now I am back again.

Education
I started my academic studies at the University of Oslo when I was 40 years old. I received my MA in Semitic linguistics in 1995. I used ten years to study all the 90,00 finite and infinite verbs of the Hebrew Bible, the Dead Sea Scrolls, the old Hebrew Inscriptions, and Ben Sira. I received my Ph.D in 2005, and my dissertation was entitled "A New Understanding of the Verbal System of Classical Hebrew An Attempt to Distinguish Between Semantic and Pragmatic Factors." I also have exams in Greek (2 year study), Latin, and Applied lingustics.

Work
I have taught courses in Akkadian, Aramaic, Ethiopic, Hebrew, Phoenician, Syriac, and Ugaritic at the University of Oslo and at The Norwegian Institute of Paleography and Historical Philology. I have also translated many documents from the mentioned languages and from Sumerian into Norwegian. I have written two books on Bible translation and two books on Assyrian, Babylonian, Egyptian, and Persian chronology. I retired from the University of Oslo in 2011.

Interests and Projects
My interests are Bible translation, astronomical and dated cuneiform tablets, and historical and linguistic issues related to the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament. At present I am working on a book entitled: "When Was the Book of Daniel Written? A Linguistic, Philological and Historical Approach," where I question the view that the book of Daniel was written in the second century BCE in connection with the acts of Antiochus IV. I am also working on a project where I compare the accounts of the creation and the flood in Genesis with the Babylonian and Sumerian accounts, and Akkadian and Pseudepigraphic prophecies with the prophecies in the Hebrew Bible, in order to find similarities and differences.
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Introduction

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Hi Rolf,

Been a while since we were on the same forum. B-Hebrew about a decade ago. Perhaps better bibles blog and some other places more recently.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

Welcome to the forum. Please, let me know when your book on Daniel is available to the public.
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
BillMcManigal

Post by BillMcManigal »

Wes Wood wrote: January 9th, 2014, 1:25 pm Welcome to the forum. Please, let me know when your book on Daniel is available to the public.
The Book on Daniel is out and it offers much support for an early date.
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

BillMcManigal wrote: September 22nd, 2017, 6:37 pm
Wes Wood wrote: January 9th, 2014, 1:25 pm Welcome to the forum. Please, let me know when your book on Daniel is available to the public.
The Book on Daniel is out and it offers much support for an early date.
Thanks for the update. I must confess I am interested in reading it.
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ

Return to “Introductions”