Shalom

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Stephen Hughes

Greek was my life and Egyptology my afterlife

Post by Stephen Hughes »

My point is that Greek was my first intellectual life, and Egyptology was my intellectual afterlife (as a mummy). To make the transition from one intellectual life to the other, I had my intellectual brain removed :( (via my intellectual nostrils). :cry: :cry: :cry:

The majority of the famous early Egyptologists (the big names) were trained in classical Greek, and some of them would write letters / notes to each other by composing classical Greek verse. It was interesting to come to Egyptology from a similar background. The subjects seem distinct to us now in our textbooks, classrooms and libraries, but when a papyrus was unearthed in Egypt, it could have been in any of a number of languages including Greek, Coptic, Demotic or Middle Egyptian. I don't have much knowledge of Demotic at all, and my Greek is only at bachelor's degree level. But those early "Egyptologists" worked competently with a wide range of texts - of course some were better at different aspects of the work.

If you would like to discuss Egyptology or mummification as a subject in itself - rather than just a passing allusion or joke then
  • Click on my name (It is on the right in blue)
  • Find the part that says send private message
  • Use it like an email.
I'm personally interested in it :) , but this public discussion is for people who are interested in Biblical Greek and closely related topics.[/b]

I suggest you apply yourself to seriously learning Greek. Put in the time and effort to learn something worthwhile.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Catherine Brown

Re: Greek was my life and Egyptology my afterlife

Post by Catherine Brown »

Stephen Hughes wrote:My point is that Greek was my first intellectual life, and Egyptology was my intellectual afterlife (as a mummy). To make the transition from one intellectual life to the other, I had my intellectual brain removed :( (via my intellectual nostrils). :cry: :cry: :cry:

The majority of the famous early Egyptologists (the big names) were trained in classical Greek, and some of them would write letters / notes to each other by composing classical Greek verse. It was interesting to come to Egyptology from a similar background. The subjects seem distinct to us now in our textbooks, classrooms and libraries, but when a papyrus was unearthed in Egypt, it could have been in any of a number of languages including Greek, Coptic, Demotic or Middle Egyptian. I don't have much knowledge of Demotic at all, and my Greek is only at bachelor's degree level. But those early "Egyptologists" worked competently with a wide range of texts - of course some were better at different aspects of the work.

If you would like to discuss Egyptology or mummification as a subject in itself - rather than just a passing allusion or joke then
  • Click on my name (It is on the right in blue)
  • Find the part that says send private message
  • Use it like an email.
I'm personally interested in it :) , but this public discussion is for people who are interested in Biblical Greek and closely related topics.[/b]

I suggest you apply yourself to seriously learning Greek. Put in the time and effort to learn something worthwhile.
Yes I think I had my nomadic dragon believing brain removed and replaced with a 'truth seeking missile', it just won't stop til it hits the target.

Thank you for giving me clear instructions on how to send a PM, I would have been lost without you lol :)
Stephen Hughes

phpBB features

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Catherine Brown wrote:Thank you for giving me clear instructions on how to send a PM, I would have been lost without you
Eventually the features of the forum will becomoe apparent as you need them. You can easily get advice on how to use the features of the phpBB by including a "phpBB" in your "How do I... ?" question in your favourite search engine.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Catherine Brown

Re: Shalom

Post by Catherine Brown »

Aaaaaw, i see....thats what googles for, well fancy that :)
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Catherine Brown wrote:It is very difficult for me to learn other languages because I haven't quite got to grips with all the english grammar, and yes I have speaking english all my life lol. School wasn't my strong point because my concentration isn't always the best.

I have learned a little of the grammar so far, mostly based around the verses I am interested in.
The Beginner's Forum is a great place for learning the language. What we will not do is offer opinions on proposed translations or interpretations of a text to someone who is not learning the language and delving into the details of how the language works.

Learning a language takes work, of course. Are you working your way through a Greek textbook, or looking for suggestions on a Greek textbook? Or taking some other systematic approach to learning Greek? That's the price of admission on B-Greek, even in the Beginner's Forum. If you're willing to put in the effort, we are willing to help.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Catherine Brown wrote:Hi,

- - -snip snip - - - .

It is very difficult for me to learn other languages because I haven't quite got to grips with all the english grammar, and yes I have speaking english all my life lol. School wasn't my strong point because my concentration isn't always the best.

I have learned a little of the grammar so far, mostly based around the verses I am interested in.

:)
Don't worry about not knowing all the English grammar. I think most of us have learned more Enflish grammar by learning the grammar of a foreign language - it makes us stop and think about how a sentence is constructed, and what it is really saying.
If you want to try some beginning Greek lessons which also explain English grammar as they go along, you're welcome to try the Online Greek Textbook at
http://www.drshirley.org/greek/textbook01/index.html

Shirley Rollinson

Return to “Introductions”