Greetings

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Vladislav Kotenko

Greetings

Post by Vladislav Kotenko »

I live in Russia and have been studying the Bible for about 8 years, since I really appreciate opportunities to study God's Word and apply its valuable principles. That book truly helps us to find purpose in life and to become better persons. But it is essential to understand it correctly, since the interpretations are numerous (as is seen from the fact that it is impossible even to number all the religious groups in the world which have their own interpretations). Sometimes, In order to understand what is actually meant in the original, it is necessary to consult the Greek text and look up all the definitions of a particular word.

I use Bible Works 9, PC Study Bible V5, Logos Bible Software 4, and several other programs in my studies and research. Each of those programs has some valuable features not found in other software. My knowledge of Greek and Hebrew is basic. But I was greatly satisfied in understanding how some Greek and Hebrew passages can be rendered in different ways, as well as how to construe those passages.

My purpose in being a member on Greek forums is to discuss and learn how some words and expressions are to be understood, because it is not a translation but the original that plays a big role in understanding the intended meaning of an inspired writer's words. This applies only to those passages which are hard to interpret, since, for the most part, the original is rendered correctly in many English Bible versions.
Stephen Hughes

Intelligent use of electronic resources

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Vladislav Kotenko wrote:I use Bible Works 9, PC Study Bible V5, Logos Bible Software 4, and several other programs in my studies and research. Each of those programs has some valuable features not found in other software. My knowledge of Greek and Hebrew is basic. But I was greatly satisfied in understanding how some Greek and Hebrew passages can be rendered in different ways, as well as how to construe those passages.
Electronic resources are one of many good ways to approach Greek. Despite my own dislike for electonic resources, I readily admit their value. My younger brother is a pastor, and while 10 years ago I taught him to actually read Greek with only him, me and the text, now due to the pressures of ministry, he uses these electronic progammes that you mention in a God-blessed ministry.

So long as one uses these resources in prayerful, reflective and intelligent reading of the Grek text, they are really excellent and beneficial to a person's life and ministry. I ebcourage you to gradually internalise your knowledge of Greek over the coming years.

Last bumped by Stephen Hughes on July 25th, 2014, 5:35 am.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “Introductions”