Hello from Mason Barge

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Mason Barge

Hello from Mason Barge

Post by Mason Barge »

Hi all. I'm a fifth semester koine Greek student and enjoy it a great deal. I'm quite a bit longer in the tooth than most people who start learning Greek.

I retired from the practice of law ten years ago and started an online ministry, which is thriving, but I quickly realized I needed more formal training. Thus I enrolled in an online graduate program. It is a bit difficult being my age, as things don't stick like they once did, but to compensate, my study habits are much better than when I was in college and law school. My main site, if anyone wants to see it, is Daily Prayer, and last January I started a companion site on Facebook.

I stumbled in here when writing about the persistence of the notion that "agape" and "phileo" have different intrinsic meanings. And yes I realize one is a noun and one a verb, but that's exactly what you hear, even from some fairly intelligent and educated teachers who have studied Greek! Or you might hear "agape" and "philia", the problem being that the latter, as far as I can discern, appears only once in the New Testament, in James 4:4 (and is generally translated "friendship with the world", even though the concept appears identical to the lesson of loving God vs. loving mammon).

I apologize for rambling. I will be found in the Beginner's Section for a while, unless I just happen to see something I know about elsewhere. I do have a very beginner's question:

How do you type in Greek on phpBB?
Jonathan Robie

Re: Hello from Mason Barge

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Welcome to B-Greek, Mason!
Mason Barge wrote:Hi all. I'm a fifth semester koine Greek student and enjoy it a great deal. I'm quite a bit longer in the tooth than most people who start learning Greek.
I bet you have some competition there ;->
Mason Barge wrote:I do have a very beginner's question:

How do you type in Greek on phpBB?
If you have a relatively modern operating system that's not Android, it's fairly straightforward. Here are some instructions:
Also, you can just cut and paste from existing Greek texts from places like biblegateway.com or software you use on your computer, or use one of the online polytonic Greek keyboards.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Mason Barge

Post by Mason Barge »

Thanks!

Too bad they don't use the same keyboard as Teknia. :|
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Mason Barge wrote:Thanks!

Too bad they don't use the same keyboard as Teknia. :|

I'd rather use the standard keyboards than a proprietary one, but here are the instructions for the Teknia keyboard on Mac and on recent versions of Windows.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Introductions”