Happy to be here!

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
wallerrobertr

Happy to be here!

Post by wallerrobertr »

Hello.
I am delighted to have found this website.
I have been studying koine Greek for about a year now, on my own, and am fascinated by it.
So far I have translated some of the gospel of John, some of the epistles by that name, and some of the gospels of Mark and Luke.
I started studying it on my own because I'm planning to attend PSR in Berkeley next fall, and I knew wanted to learn koine Greek, but was concerned about the possibility of failure. When I was in high school, I got A's in Latin and C's in English, but that was 50 years ago! But after some initial wailing and gnashing of teeth, I seem to have picked it up reasonably well.
Thank you all for being here.
- RRW
Thomas Dolhanty

Re: Happy to be here!

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

Welcome to B-Greek. I also am new here, and it sounds like you took up Greek at about the same time in life as I did. Great to hear that you are already doing some reading in the Gospels and elsewhere. My own experience is READ, READ, READ, and I have already gleaned the same advice from others here. Even better - read aloud. The grammar is necessary, and it will come, but it comes best from the text itself - or at least with a grammar book in one hand and the Greek NT in the other. :)
I knew wanted to learn koine Greek, but was concerned about the possibility of failure
In my case the "error" part has been a "certainty" - and still is - but in those famous words of Peter Hein:
The road to wisdom? — Well, it's plain
and simple to express:
Err
and err
and err again
but less
and less
and less.
I am not nearly as "less" as I'd like to be, but way more than I used to be.

Welcome, again, and blessings on your journey.
γράφω μαθεῖν
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Welcome to B-Greek. Anyone who got A's in Latin is almost certainly going to succeed in Greek. Glad to see you have made some progress. This is a good place to ask questions or generally just hang out and see what is currently being discussed.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Welcome to both of you.
How great that you have already found the key to progress with the GNT - "read, read, read," - "ALOUD". I can always tell which of my students take that advice seriously, even if it feels strange at first to read aloud and maybe stumble over the words - they are the ones who make progress, and by the end of a semester are reading and comprehending, while others are still stumbling and mumbling.
Welcome to B-Greek.
If you'd like to try a textbook that emphasises reading and comprehension, you're welcome to try the Online Greek Textbook
http://www.drshirley.org/greek/textbook02/index.html

Shirley Rollinson
Thomas Dolhanty

Post by Thomas Dolhanty »

Thank you, Shirley. I like your lower-upper case flip. I definitely will take a look at your online book. I am in the midst of teaching a first year group using Mounce. We have done well through the fall with the nouns, using Mounce with some enrichment from Croy and elsewhere. I am casting about right now, though, to identify ideas/materials for a bit more varied approach in the winter session as I introduce the verbs. From the second class on students have taken turns reading ALOUD a verse from 1John.
γράφω μαθεῖν

Return to “Introductions”