καιρετε from Nashville, TN

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
caspianrex

καιρετε from Nashville, TN

Post by caspianrex »

Hello all!

I am Director of Music at a small Methodist church in Nashville, TN. In grad school I took a couple semesters of NT Greek, just for fun (and to apply my mind to something that wasn't music-related). That was about fifteen years ago, but I am still very interested in learning more about Koine Greek. I have tried several times to study on my own, but always seem to get sidetracked. So I'm going to roll up my sleeves and give it another try, and I hope communicating with other students on this forum will help me keep going with it this time.

The main text I've used in the past is the Third Edition of Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek. But I also just acquired a copy of Jeremy Duff's Elements of New Testament Greek, and I rather like that book as well. (When I took Greek in grad school, we used Machen, probably because it was relatively inexpensive.) Any suggestions on other texts that lend themselves to self-study would be greatly appreciated.

So long for now,
Cory Howell
Nashville, TN
Wes Wood

Re: καιρετε from Nashville, TN

Post by Wes Wood »

It is interesting, to me at least, that two of the people who joined the forum this month are from Nashville. It is a shame that I was unable to say hello until now: Hello!

It is not my intent to mention the following as suggestions for you to study, but I used Mounce's textbook and resources to teach myself Greek. I can now read most koine greek with a moderate degree of success, so I feel confident that it can put other motivated individuals on the path to reading Koine. I am currently going through the JACT Reading Greek series to help me learn to read Classical Greek and am enjoying it a great deal. I hope you will enjoy your Greek studies as much as I have enjoyed mine.
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
mlrolfe

Re: καιρετε from Nashville, TN

Post by mlrolfe »

Hi there Cory,
Its interesting that you say you tried Greek 15 years ago and there is still an interest to learn it. That means something. I have been reading Greek for about three months. Someone has said - on this forum - that if something is important it will become clear with time but if it isn't that will become clear too ... or something like that. For me the becoming clear is the natural result of reading and hearing read, a lot of Greek. I started with Matthew 1 on Youtube. I use Paul McReynold's -Word Study Greek English NT -, for my daily readings. I believe it is possible to find a blessing and therefore motivation, in studying NT Greek at whatever level your're at. All the best.

Return to “Introductions”