Vasiliki Didaskalou

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Vasiliki Didaskalou

Vasiliki Didaskalou

Post by Vasiliki Didaskalou »

Hello,

I was researching the Essenes and the Qumran community and stumbled upon this Forum.

Looking forward to learning more about Biblical Greek ... I am of Greek heritage and so know the modern language intuitively but always keen to study the link between languages and the etymology of words.
Pastor-teacher

Re: Vasiliki - Hi everyone

Post by Pastor-teacher »

Greetings . . . I have a question concerning Greek word order . . . please contact me off forum at: denticknap@msn.com . . . thank you . . . Pastor-teacher
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Pastor-teacher wrote:Greetings . . . I have a question concerning Greek word order . . . please contact me off forum at: denticknap@msn.com . . . thank you . . . Pastor-teacher
If it's a question about Greek word order, why not just ask it here?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Vasiliki Didaskalou

Hi everyone, I am not able to use my Private Message settings anyway ...

someone sent me a message asking me for my full name; that it is a policy but I can not reply to his email.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

If you tell me your full name, it will magically become your user name. And your password will remain unchanged.

I'm trying to explain to the moderators that you can't respond to PMs until you've posted twice ... but not everyone knows that yet.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Jonathan Robie wrote:If you tell me your full name, it will magically become your user name. And your password will remain unchanged.
Gee, give him an inch of technological competence and he'll swear he's a full-fledged prestidigitator.
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

cwconrad wrote:
Jonathan Robie wrote:If you tell me your full name, it will magically become your user name. And your password will remain unchanged.
Gee, give him an inch of technological competence and he'll swear he's a full-fledged prestidigitator.
How would you say that in Greek?
Mark Lightman

Post by Mark Lightman »

Code: Select all

How would you say that in Greek?
Hi, Jonathan,

Δος μεν ουν αυτῳ τινα τεχνην και νομισει δη σοφος μαγος ειναι.
Vasiliki Didaskalou

My full name is Vasiliki Didaskalou :) Uh oh, now the "powers that be" will know my hobbies in their big CIA database in USA ....

Ok, how would you say all that in Greek?

Αμαν! (Gee is an english explanation but a Greek wont say that :) ...

Δος του ... Give him.

As you can see, I am not a student of language nor do I know the rules behind the study of language, so I will ask everyone to be very patient with me until I understand the way people relate to each other with the sharing of information :)
Louis L Sorenson

Re: Vasiliki Didaskalou

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

δος του.....

In Hellenistic Greek this would be δὸς τῲ. The dative case has merged with the genitive case in modern Greek. Correct I am? (as Yoda would have said).

Return to “Introductions”