Hello from NZ

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
mlrolfe

Hello from NZ

Post by mlrolfe »

I live in New Zealand a have been studying new testament Greek, on my own, for about 3 months. I went to Bible College in the mid 70's for three years but did not take the option to do Greek back then. However their was a basic Greek class offered, I think for one term, for anyone interested. I remember attending these classes and our teacher recommended to us buying a small red nestle-aland Greek NT which I seemed to remember had an english translation along with the Greek. We got to work pretty quickly, with the teacher reading aloud through 1 John.
That was a long time age but I still remember the awe of hearing the words of Greek, the language used to record the message we have in the NT.
I think my interest now in Greek has happened because of the resources that are now available through the internet, for anyone to learn Greek, NT or Modern. In my quest to learn to pronounce and read NT Greek, it did not take long to become aware of a difference of option that exists about how we should pronounce NT Greek today.
Without going into the for's and against, I made the decision for me, that I would follow modern Greek pronunciation when reading NT Greek.
I understand the anguish this could cause in some circles but for me the motivation to learn something about NT Greek is being able to follow a native Greek speaker reading the NT.
I began with Matthew 1. If there is ever a chapter in the NT which lends itself to learning to read NT Greek, for me it is Matthew 1.

Thanks that this is a place where people can share about NT Greek.
I hope there will be more things I can share, that have blessed me, through this quest!!!

Mark
Jonathan Robie

Re: Hello from NZ

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Welcome, Mark!

Feel free to ask any questions you have along the way as you read.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
mlrolfe

Re: Hello from NZ

Post by mlrolfe »

Yes, thank you.
A great resource for me is Paul R McReynold's - Word Study Greek English New Testament. Since acquiring it, I use it each day in my devotions. It is a NRSV which I am starting to like, as I have been a RSV fan for years.
At the time of starting to use the WSGENT, my reading was in the early chapters of Hebrews. The thought of looking at the greek of Hebrews seemed daunting! However I was surprised to see that the flow of thought was quite clear.

Mark

Return to “Introductions”