Introduction

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
neilellson

Introduction

Post by neilellson »

Hi. My name in Neil. I live in Norfolk, England and have been studying Greek on my own on and off over the last 25 years. I initially used John Dodson's Learn New Testament a Greek which was useful to begin with its inductive methodology. More recently I have used Mounce and found his methods very useful for filling gaps and learning Greek translation by spotting patterns rather than paradigm memorisation. I am doing this mainly for fun and am building up my Greek library with Mounce's other books, readers, Wallace's GGBG and hopefully soon the new Going deeper into Greek. Any other suggestion would be most welcome. I hope to use this forum as a means to clarify my understanding. Kind regards.
Neil Ellson
Robert Crowe

Re: Introduction

Post by Robert Crowe »

Hi Neil!

A friend I met on a train saw me with a copy of the Iliad and had a look at it. He was amused by the squirlly script and asked what was the point of reading it. I said it was fun. He returned a puzzled expression. Some people just don't get it.

Fun spoiler: Working from a chore list. Big time spoiler: Working from a chore list given by someone else.

Have fun.
Tús maith leath na hoibre.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Introduction

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Χαῖρε, Neil. Collecting resources and working through various grammars and workbooks are good, but nothing beats actually reading the Greek. Take time to do that everyday, and expand if at all possible to extra-biblical authors. The more you read... :D
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Return to “Introductions”