Introduction: Roger McDaniel

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Roger McDaniel

Introduction: Roger McDaniel

Post by Roger McDaniel »

I found this site several years ago, but didn't really participate and lost track of it. Now trying to both ramp up my Greek proficiency and have a place to discuss "original language" issues and possible meanings where folk don't roll their eyes and think, "There he goes off on a Greek tangent again!"

I studied at Circleville Bible College (now Ohio Christian University) in the 80's and did pretty poorly in Greek, but somehow have managed to stick with it for 30 years. Sometimes I'd lay it down for weeks or months, sometimes I "crutched" on my interlinear, but always came back to my U.B.S. edition and tried again. For some reason, I've felt pressed to get back into it with gusto, and for the past year or so have been reading for a few minutes each day, and can make my way through the gospels and simpler epistles (i.e. 1,2,3 John) without looking up too many words in the dictionary.

Recently I discovered a "Readers Greek New Testament" in a used book store and it is AMAZING! (Basically, rather than a dictionary in the back, it assumes you have a grasp of common words, but only need help with words that occur more infrequently. These words ONLY are listed at the bottom of each page, so one can read along and only need to glance down if needed. It has saved me much time "flipping back and forth" and greatly encouraged my daily readings. I highly recommend it.)

So anyway, I am looking forward to both hearing and commenting on thoughts regarding the original language texts, of which I never cease to marvel at the depth of meaning that is only shadowed in any English translation. Be well all, and Maranatha.

RMc
Jonathan Robie

Re: Introduction: Roger McDaniel

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Welcome to B-Greek, Roger, I'm glad you found us!

And yes, Reader's Editions are very helpful. Did you happen to see this thread? Is your Reader's Edition one of the ones mentioned in it?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3988&p=26745
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Roger McDaniel

Post by Roger McDaniel »

No, JR, I had not seen this thread yet, just posted an introduction including my recent delightful discovery of the Readers Testament at a "Half-Priced Books" location. My pastor makes frequent use of the original language, and was very interested when I showed him my prize, so I ordered one for him off of Amazon. Hopefully, it will allow him to spend less time "flipping pages" in the lexicons as well. Lord knows he has enough to do already...

Thanks for the welcome!
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Welcome, Roger, good to have you on board. The sine qua non of success in learning the language is perseverance, and it's never too late. Feel free to jump in to any discussion or to ask any questions.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Roger McDaniel

Post by Roger McDaniel »

Thanks for the welcome.

It only took me about 10 minutes of clicking around before the thought occurred to me, "Hey, maybe I don't know nearly as much as I THINK I do... (or NEED to)." Just sayin...

By the way, I just got home and checked, my Readers Testament is the Richard J. Goodrich, Albert L. Lukaszewski version. Not sure that it matters at this stage, I'm just trying to get to where I can read a passage coherently and follow the gist of the thought. Building vocab and looking for structure and patterns.
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

Roger McDaniel wrote: March 29th, 2017, 6:30 pm Thanks for the welcome.

It only took me about 10 minutes of clicking around before the thought occurred to me, "Hey, maybe I don't know nearly as much as I THINK I do... (or NEED to)." Just sayin...

By the way, I just got home and checked, my Readers Testament is the Richard J. Goodrich, Albert L. Lukaszewski version. Not sure that it matters at this stage, I'm just trying to get to where I can read a passage coherently and follow the gist of the thought. Building vocab and looking for structure and patterns.
When reading Greek, I rarely experience a better feeling than the one I sometimes have after revisiting a text I once struggled through to find that it isn't nearly as difficult as I remember. I have found that daily battles lead to long-term gains.
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
Roger McDaniel

Post by Roger McDaniel »

In the Scripture I find a wonder that I presume unavailable in any other book: namely that the Author can still speak to me through it, and every time I read a new (or familiar) passage, He is able to bring new meaning and/or application to the text and into my life.

While one might appreciate a re-read of "Gone with the Wind", I sincerely doubt the experience could EVER be equivalent, no?

Thanks for the encouragement.

Be well.
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Roger McDaniel wrote: March 30th, 2017, 6:36 am In the Scripture I find a wonder that I presume unavailable in any other book: namely that the Author can still speak to me through it, and every time I read a new (or familiar) passage, He is able to bring new meaning and/or application to the text and into my life.

While one might appreciate a re-read of "Gone with the Wind", I sincerely doubt the experience could EVER be equivalent, no?

Be well.
I used to know a bishop who said "One of the things I take as evidence for divine authorship of the Bible is : Think of the best human-written literature - the first time you read it, it's great. You read it again, it's still great. You read it 5 times, it's getting a bit ordinary. You read it 20 times, it's stale. You read the Bible 20 times - you're only just getting into it, and it's still challenging you :-)
Roger McDaniel

Post by Roger McDaniel »

And that's why it's called "The LIVING Word", no?
Wes Wood

Post by Wes Wood »

Roger McDaniel wrote: March 30th, 2017, 6:36 am In the Scripture I find a wonder that I presume unavailable in any other book: namely that the Author can still speak to me through it, and every time I read a new (or familiar) passage, He is able to bring new meaning and/or application to the text and into my life.

Be well.
When I made my post, I was thinking specifically of the challenges and rewards of learning to read Greek. It takes a great deal of practice and patience to reach the point where reading a Greek text (including but not limited to the Bible) is as meaningful as reading the same work in English.
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ

Return to “Introductions”