About to begin the first half of first year Greek.

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Rreffner

About to begin the first half of first year Greek.

Post by Rreffner »

71 years old and I have decided to undertake a Biblical Greek language study. I would like to be able to read the New Testament in the original language. I have never taken a language other than my native language. I am taking the course at the Tallahassee Christian College and Training Center for personal growth (audit).

The course begins in 4-weeks. I am trying to learn the Greek alphabet before class begins. Wish me luck.

Rich
Jonathan Robie

Re: About to begin the first half of first year Greek.

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Congratulations and good luck! Do you know what textbook they use?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Rreffner wrote: August 11th, 2017, 1:49 pm 71 years old and I have decided to undertake a Biblical Greek language study. I would like to be able to read the New Testament in the original language. I have never taken a language other than my native language. I am taking the course at the Tallahassee Christian College and Training Center for personal growth (audit).

The course begins in 4-weeks. I am trying to learn the Greek alphabet before class begins. Wish me luck.

Rich
Welcome to B-Greek - If you'd like to get a start on the alphabet, you're welcome to use the Online Textbook, which starts at http://www.drshirley.org/greek/textbook02/contents.html
There are also several good videos on You-Tube, though they usually don't tie the letters in with actual words, or give much about the history of the alphabet, which is fascinating.
Enjoy - Greek is a great language
Shirley Rollinson
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Rreffner wrote: August 11th, 2017, 1:49 pm 71 years old and I have decided to undertake a Biblical Greek language study. I would like to be able to read the New Testament in the original language. I have never taken a language other than my native language. I am taking the course at the Tallahassee Christian College and Training Center for personal growth (audit).

Rich
Wow, Rich! Good on ya! :)

You have all of our warm wishes for your success, I'm sure. Of course, feel free to ask for help and clarification at any step along the way.

How's it going so far with the alphabet learning?
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Rreffner

Post by Rreffner »

To date, I have memorized the alphabet and am in the process of learning lower case letters. Class starts in two days. We will be using Essentials of New Testament Greek by Ray Summers ISBN 978-08054410013 ISBN 0805410015 AND a Greek New Testament (United Bible Societies).
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Some time ago (back in the mid-1980's, actually) I was listening to Christian radio in Minneapolis and heard the pastor bragging about a parishioner, who, at 95, decided to take Moody Bible school's correspondence course in Greek. She completed beginning and intermediate in 2 years, and then signed up for Hebrew. That means you are starting out quite young by comparison... :lol: It also proves it's never too late, as long as the Lord gives breath and capacity.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Jeffrey Dangel

Post by Jeffrey Dangel »

Hi Rich. Best wishes on your Greek learning expedition. When learning the alphabet, I've found it helpful to learn the lower case letters first. Write them down on paper several times a day and say them out loud, to involve different parts of the brain in your memorization. Take special note of the letters you have a hard time remembering and go over those more often than the ones you don't have trouble with. There is so much information and terminology in Koine Greek that you won't realistically be able to review everything all the time. So, focus on the things that you have a hard time picking up on. Once you've learned the 24 lower case letters then move to upper case letters. The ratio of lower case letters to upper case letters in the actual Greek text is considerably more. Basically, the only times a capital letter is used in NT Greek is on Proper nouns (Barnabas, Judea, etc.), at the beginning of a quotation (like a NT writer quoting an OT Scripture) and at the beginning of a paragraph. Since lower case letters are used more often, it's probably more essential to learn the more often used letters in the lower case first. Then, once you've learned both upper and lower cases, try writing out some basic Greek words. It's important to get used to seeing and understanding how the letter formations work together. Enjoy.

Jeff Dangel
Jeffrey Dangel
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Jeffrey Dangel wrote: October 18th, 2017, 5:57 pm Once you've learned the 24 lower case letters then move to upper case letters. The ratio of lower case letters to upper case letters in the actual Greek text is considerably more. Basically, the only times a capital letter is used in NT Greek is on Proper nouns (Barnabas, Judea, etc.), at the beginning of a quotation (like a NT writer quoting an OT Scripture) and at the beginning of a paragraph. Since lower case letters are used more often, it's probably more essential to learn the more often used letters in the lower case first. Then, once you've learned both upper and lower cases, try writing out some basic Greek words. It's important to get used to seeing and understanding how the letter formations work together. Enjoy.

Jeff Dangel
I had been taking Greek for 2 years, maybe longer, before I saw my first capital Ξ actually in a text. :lol:
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: October 26th, 2017, 4:39 pm
Jeffrey Dangel wrote: October 18th, 2017, 5:57 pm Once you've learned the 24 lower case letters then move to upper case letters. The ratio of lower case letters to upper case letters in the actual Greek text is considerably more. Basically, the only times a capital letter is used in NT Greek is on Proper nouns (Barnabas, Judea, etc.), at the beginning of a quotation (like a NT writer quoting an OT Scripture) and at the beginning of a paragraph. Since lower case letters are used more often, it's probably more essential to learn the more often used letters in the lower case first. Then, once you've learned both upper and lower cases, try writing out some basic Greek words. It's important to get used to seeing and understanding how the letter formations work together. Enjoy.

Jeff Dangel
I had been taking Greek for 2 years, maybe longer, before I saw my first capital Ξ actually in a text. :lol:
But if you want to catch a Taxi in Athens you see them all over the place :-)
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Shirley Rollinson wrote: October 26th, 2017, 6:10 pm
Barry Hofstetter wrote: October 26th, 2017, 4:39 pm I had been taking Greek for 2 years, maybe longer, before I saw my first capital Ξ actually in a text. :lol:
But if you want to catch a Taxi in Athens you see them all over the place :-)
Or, if you study with the Ἀθήναζε program, in which the slave of Δικαιόπολις is called Ξανθίας from the second lesson in the book. :)
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “Introductions”