Hello

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
DavMcKay

Hello

Post by DavMcKay »

So, about a decade ago I took an intro biblical Greek course and I still have the textbook (Croy) and the Greek New Testament (Metzger, 4th edition). I have daydreams of liberating myself from my interlinear New Testament — not sure how realistic that is. And I'm hoping this place might be a kind of support for that.

I will probably hug the beginners forum.
Jason Hare

Re: Hello

Post by Jason Hare »

DavMcKay wrote: August 26th, 2017, 7:13 pm So, about a decade ago I took an intro biblical Greek course and I still have the textbook (Croy) and the Greek New Testament (Metzger, 4th edition). I have daydreams of liberating myself from my interlinear New Testament — not sure how realistic that is. And I'm hoping this place might be a kind of support for that.

I will probably hug the beginners forum.
That sounds like a good start, Dav (David?).

It's a good idea to spend time in the beginners forum. Of course, in your readings, post questions and try to clear things up. Have you considered joining an online study group to get refreshed? On GreekStudy, we regularly run groups on John Taylor's Greek to GCSE and other textbooks. I think it would be good to go through a grammar again, get up-to-speed on the material and then spend a lot of time reading the text.

Good luck!

Jason
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Welcome back! Long time no see!
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Eeli Kaikkonen

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

DavMcKay wrote: August 26th, 2017, 7:13 pm I have daydreams of liberating myself from my interlinear New Testament — not sure how realistic that is.
I think it's completely realistic. Just start reading the running text, don't try to understand everything, skip the difficult parts. I recommend starting with the Gospels, especially Mark and John, because they have limited, repeating and concrete vocabulary and relatively simple syntax. At the same time go through the textbook or use some freely available resources for systematic grammar and vocabulary. Don't do extra parsing exercises outside your textbook or other resource, spend that time reading the running text.

Return to “Introductions”