Brad Jones

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
bradnjones

Brad Jones

Post by bradnjones »

I am considering starting the process of teaching myself Greek and so have zero experience in this field of study. I serve in full time campus outreach ministry. I'm looking forward to learning from the forum!

=====

When discussing a non-consonantal Heh, I am referring to a Heh as an Em Kri'ah or "matres lectiones", i.e. a Heh that marks a vowel. This Heh is not pronounced as the consonant H. This happens at the end of many words, such as Torah. In contrast, in the middle of words, Heh is always a consonant that has the sound "H". Compare this to Yod, which is often non-consonantal in the middle of a word such as in B'reshit. The Heh in Yehgeh, Yihyeh, and MitmaHmehah is consonantal. The definition of a consonant is important here.
Last edited by Jason Hare on October 16th, 2017, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Combined both of this user's intro threads into one.
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Brad Jones

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Hello Brad,

I find it encouraging that someone involved in campus ministries would want to study biblical languages.

Are you also participating in B-Hebrew?

A lot of us on this forum are self taught. So you will find some fellow travelers here. We also have professional academics and and people who we're taught classical languages from grade school through graduate school.

What you'll not find here is any substantial agreement concerning how to go about learning Ancient Greek. It is risky to assume that the most vocal participants represent an opinion generally held. B-Greek is no longer a place where dubious notions are vigorously opposed.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
bradnjones

Post by bradnjones »

Hi Stirling,

Thanks for your thoughts. I am focusing on Greek first. At some point I'd love to learn Hebrew as well but don't think I can realistically tackle both. I love to study and teach Gods word but have never had any formal training in the original languages and think it would be a great thing to learn. I also think it would be helpful in evangelism and apologetics.
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

bradnjones wrote: October 16th, 2017, 9:19 am I am considering starting the process of teaching myself Greek and so have zero experience in this field of study. I serve in full time campus outreach ministry. I'm looking forward to learning from the forum!
++++++++++++++
Welcome to B-Greek, Brad
You're welcome to check out the textbook I have at http://www.drshirley.org/greek/textbook02/index.html - It's designed to be used for self-study or in a class-room. And if you have questions or don't understand something, there are helpful people here on B-Greek.
Just do 30-40 minutes a day and you'll make great progress. And if things seem to be going slowly, and you get discouraged, look back to where you were a year-or-so ago in your studies and you'll see how much progress you've made.
Keep going :-)
Shirley Rollinson
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Brad,

A person could spend their entire life attempting to keep up with internet resources for the study of biblical Greek. I have a few favorites. James Tauber's morphological Greek testament, STEP Bible Tyndale House Cambridge. I have also made occasional use of biblearc.com.
  • The distinctive advantage James Tauber's morphological Greek testament, it provides you with an uncluttered GNT linked to morphological tags. You are not immediately bombarded with lots of other information. This is a tool for reading Greek without translation.
    http://morphgnt.org/sblgnt/
  • The advantages of the STEP Bible Tyndale House Cambridge are too numerous to list. That resource is constantly being improved. https://www.stepbible.org/
  • biblearc.com requires registration for a free account. With a free account you can use the SBLGNT which is linked to morphological tags, Grimn-Thayer's lexicon which I prefer to Liddel Scott Jones. I have not explored arcing as exegetical tool.
Some things to avoid:
  • Buying the books used in most seminaries. Just don't do it.
  • Translating, avoid it.
  • Buying Bible software. Resist.
  • Using a hardcopy lexicon. No excuse for flipping pages in the digital age.
  • Accumulating ancient grammars. Biblical Greek it is easier to read than most of the grammars.
Postscript: I have done everyone of these things to avoid.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Return to “Introductions”