Beginning...again

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Ssvacha

Beginning...again

Post by Ssvacha »

Hi,

I’ve attempted over many years to learn Biblical Greek on my own and it has been a struggle. Last year I decided to step back and work at Attic Greek with the JACT books and these did help but I found myself getting discouraged at the length of time it was taking me to absorb the material and I set it down - again. This really is something I want to achieve and have decided to attempt it again. I am reading Hansen & Quinn and am enjoying the book but there is just so much to take in. I have learned that a single book doesn’t work for me since I question the rules and need additional explanation. I also feel that just learning the grammar without a very strong emphasis on reading is questionable. I’ve been thinking lately that maybe a good way to learn is to be presented with a paragraph or more of text and then be introduced into topics based on that text - kind of line JACT but with a much more detailed explanation of the grammar in that block of text.

Anyway, I am excited to join this group and to learn from all of you.

God bless,

Shawn
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Beginning...again

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Welcome, Shawn. It sounds like you've already made some good progress. I am especially encouraged that you've learned that actually working with the language is the key to success, and not just memorizing paradigms and rules.

Moderator note: we do have a "real names" policy on B-Greek, and we'd like your screen name to reflect your real name. Contact a moderator and we'll be glad to help you with that.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Ssvacha

Post by Ssvacha »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: July 26th, 2018, 2:48 pm Welcome, Shawn. It sounds like you've already made some good progress. I am especially encouraged that you've learned that actually working with the language is the key to success, and not just memorizing paradigms and rules.

Moderator note: we do have a "real names" policy on B-Greek, and we'd like your screen name to reflect your real name. Contact a moderator and we'll be glad to help you with that.
Thanks for the encouragement and the info on the screen name - I’ll take care of that.

Shawn
Hefin J. Jones

Post by Hefin J. Jones »

Carl Conrad has a grammatical supplement to the JACT Reading Greek course that provides lengthier explanations. I am not 100% sure to which edition it is keyed but I suspect that it is to the current (2nd ??) edition.
Hefin Jones

instructor in New Testament - Koinonia Theological Seminary, Davao

Return to “Introductions”