Hoping for real reading proficiency

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Paul-Nitz

Re: Hoping for real reading proficiency

Post by Paul-Nitz »

Jonathan,

Thanks for posting your doc on asking questions in Koine.

How about adding μη & ου questioning?

How about a short bit on Answering? Are there normal and emphatic ways of answering? E.g. Εγω versus εγω γε.

The Jannaris chapter was interesting, but yours is much more useful.

Paul
Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi
seanmcguire

Post by seanmcguire »

I like this idea of asking questions. I really appreciate the two files. My Greek is slowly improving with many of the suggestions mentioned. I'm still struggling with vocabulary retention for words I don't see often and I still think of them with the corresponding English word. But I'm going to stick with it.
Emma Ehrhardt

Post by Emma Ehrhardt »

seanmcguire wrote: August 6th, 2018, 1:55 pm As for finding words below 10x, I've yet to find an easy way to do this. I have Accordance, but I'm not sure how to search specifically. My Google searches haven't turned up any good advice. I also have a reader's lexicon, but that is time consuming to type out for each book. Any ideas how to get the word data quickly?
John Dyer’s Bible Web App Reader can do this. http://biblewebapp.com/reader/. It creates a reader’s version on the fly with custom settings (including e.g. “gloss only words occurring in GNT <10x”).
Emma Ehrhardt
Computational Linguist
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Emma Ehrhardt wrote: September 24th, 2018, 9:18 pm
John Dyer’s Bible Web App Reader can do this. http://biblewebapp.com/reader/. It creates a reader’s version on the fly with custom settings (including e.g. “gloss only words occurring in GNT <10x”).
Amazing or shocking depending on your point of view. People who have issues with interlinears might question this as a way forward towards reading "naturally."
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

seanmcguire wrote: August 6th, 2018, 1:55 pm - - snip snip - - -
As for finding words below 10x, I've yet to find an easy way to do this. I have Accordance, but I'm not sure how to search specifically. My Google searches haven't turned up any good advice. I also have a reader's lexicon, but that is time consuming to type out for each book. Any ideas how to get the word data quickly?
Try La Parola http://www.laparola.net/greco/index.php. Set the "Passage" to Matthew 1:1, leave the text-end blank (so it will search the whole GNT), and leave most of the other boxes blank You can search for "all nouns", "all verbs", etc or narrow the search in several ways

Return to “Introductions”