Sam Parkinson

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Sam Parkinson

Sam Parkinson

Post by Sam Parkinson »

Hello all,
I'm finally getting round to an introduction, after a couple of months of lurking and a couple of posts. Finding B-Greek has been like finding a gold mine: there's just so much good stuff here. I've had to teach myself, and being able to learn from such an array of people who are far further on is marvelous.

I'm a pastor-in-training based in Glasgow (Scotland), and while I've done a variety of helpful study for preaching, have never had the chance to do a proper seminary degree. So I started teaching myself Greek around eight years ago or so, using Jeremy Duff's (underrated?) textbook. I'd never learned a language properly, and my formal English grammar was atrocious (despite being a professional editor...) so that was a steep learning curve. It took several restarts to get going, and by the time I made it to the end of the book I'd forgotten much of it.

Discovering the UBS reader's GNT, and memrise for vocab, helped me both start again and then make the transition to reading. I still need to go back and review formal grammar, but by now reading the NT is pretty fluid for the easier books at least, and it's easy enough that I'm now learning much faster. So I'm also jumping off into Attic (Italian Athenaze, Xenophon, Lysias) and enjoying that. I'd be making great progress if I hadn't decided to learn Hebrew too...

Discovering B-Greek, as well as Nerdy Language majors, Seumas MacDonald's blog, and various other sources has given me new enthusiasm to push forwards, as well as lots of good advice on tools, sources, readers, and heaps of great advice. I'm glad to be alive when that's possible!

Sam.

p.s. would a moderator kindly change my username to Sam Parkinson? I can't work out how to contact one directly, as I haven't posted enough to message any of you - at least as far as I can work out!
Jonathan Robie

Re: Sam Parkinson

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Sam Parkinson wrote: August 7th, 2018, 5:49 am Finding B-Greek has been like finding a gold mine: there's just so much good stuff here. I've had to teach myself, and being able to learn from such an array of people who are far further on is marvelous.
I'm glad you like it here. I love hearing that kind of thing.
Sam Parkinson wrote: August 7th, 2018, 5:49 amI'm a pastor-in-training based in Glasgow (Scotland), and while I've done a variety of helpful study for preaching, have never had the chance to do a proper seminary degree. So I started teaching myself Greek around eight years ago or so, using Jeremy Duff's (underrated?) textbook. I'd never learned a language properly, and my formal English grammar was atrocious (despite being a professional editor...) so that was a steep learning curve. It took several restarts to get going, and by the time I made it to the end of the book I'd forgotten much of it.
I'm self-taught too. Several people here are. Most of us had a bumpy road.
Sam Parkinson wrote: August 7th, 2018, 5:49 amDiscovering the UBS reader's GNT, and memrise for vocab, helped me both start again and then make the transition to reading. I still need to go back and review formal grammar, but by now reading the NT is pretty fluid for the easier books at least, and it's easy enough that I'm now learning much faster. So I'm also jumping off into Attic (Italian Athenaze, Xenophon, Lysias) and enjoying that. I'd be making great progress if I hadn't decided to learn Hebrew too...

Discovering B-Greek, as well as Nerdy Language majors, Seumas MacDonald's blog, and various other sources has given me new enthusiasm to push forwards, as well as lots of good advice on tools, sources, readers, and heaps of great advice. I'm glad to be alive when that's possible!
Cool - you are choosing wisely.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Sam Parkinson wrote: August 7th, 2018, 5:49 am p.s. would a moderator kindly change my username to Sam Parkinson? I can't work out how to contact one directly, as I haven't posted enough to message any of you - at least as far as I can work out!
Done.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Sam Parkinson

Post by Sam Parkinson »

Jonathan Robie wrote: August 7th, 2018, 10:07 am
Sam Parkinson wrote: August 7th, 2018, 5:49 am p.s. would a moderator kindly change my username to Sam Parkinson? I can't work out how to contact one directly, as I haven't posted enough to message any of you - at least as far as I can work out!
Done.
Thanks, much appreciated!

Return to “Introductions”