Introduction

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
melodyfar

Introduction

Post by melodyfar »

Hi everyone,

I'm Oliver Weber. I recently received my Master's degree in Biblical Studies from New York State, and I plan to start my PhD program there as well. I haven't worked with Biblical Greek in a while, so I'm hoping to use this forum to brush up and improve my Hebrew. Basics of Biblical Greek by Mounce was the textbook I used in my prior studies, and I enjoyed it so much that I chose to get the most recent edition and reread it.

Many thanks!
Jason Hare

Re: Introduction

Post by Jason Hare »

melodyfar wrote: November 14th, 2023, 4:59 am Hi everyone,

I'm Oliver Weber. I recently received my Master's degree in Biblical Studies from New York State, and I plan to start my PhD program there as well. I haven't worked with Biblical Greek in a while, so I'm hoping to use this forum to brush up and improve my Hebrew. Basics of Biblical Greek by Mounce was the textbook I used in my prior studies, and I enjoyed it so much that I chose to get the most recent edition and reread it.

Many thanks!
Χαῖρε, Melody!

I think you mean “Greek” here instead of “Hebrew,” don’t you? But, if you’re interested in brushing up on Hebrew, we also have a sister forum for that: B-Hebrew. Especially note the live stream that I will be doing this weekend on the beginning of the book of Joshua!

One thing about Basics of Biblical Greek (and also Basics of Biblical Hebrew, for that matter) is that they really do just cover the basics. I heartily recommend using the Athenaze set of textbooks to get into Attic. It has New Testament sections in every chapter, and it covers all you need to really get started in reading Greek—including reading the books of Acts, Hebrew, and the Epistles of Peter, something that BBG will never prepare you for. If you get through BBG, you might consider Athenaze as a next step.

Welcome to B-Greek!
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Shirley Rollinson

Re: Introduction

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

melodyfar wrote: November 14th, 2023, 4:59 am Hi everyone,

Many thanks!
Welcome to B-Greek.
to brush up on your Greek, it depends - do you want to just study the grammar of NT Greek, or do you want to read the GNT for understanding and daily feeding? If the latter, then you might be interested in the "Daily Dose" series (free, 2-minute readings of the text of the GNT, with a bit of elementary analysis)
https://dailydoseofgreek.com/
the same group also offer Daily Hebrew, Latin, and Aramaic videos
You're also welcome to try the textbook at https://www.drshirley.org/greek/textbook02/index.html

Return to “Introductions”