I'm Dan (Tucson) and am self-learning Koine Greek - YIKES!

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Dan Grossenbach

I'm Dan (Tucson) and am self-learning Koine Greek - YIKES!

Post by Dan Grossenbach »

My background is in apologetics and now I want to learn Greek for Bible study and in pursuit of a master's in classics someday. I've tried self-study before with little success and am now looking at Randall Buth's "Living Koine Greek." I joined this forum to plug in with people of the same beginner stage and who have the same questions. More importantly, I'm hoping the experienced folks can lend a hand.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: I'm Dan (Tucson) and am self-learning Koine Greek - YIKE

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Welcome, Dan, good to see you here. Feel free to post any questions, and be sure to read through the various postings -- there's already quite a bit you might find helpful. On pursuing a Classics degree, most graduate programs require both Greek and Latin on matriculation. You might want consider taking an intensive course in one or both of these somewhere before you start -- I think the University of Syracuse used to offer summer intensive courses which get you through the intermediate level. Of course, there are plenty of self learning opportunities now as well, but you should be as well prepared as possible if you are considering graduate level work.

I started seminary with both an undergraduate and graduate degree in Classics, but I had no Hebrew. I actually signed up the summer before seminary for Moody's correspondence course in Hebrew. I didn't complete it, and took beginning Hebrew with everyone else (I had originally wanted to test out of it), but it was a huge help in getting me started and making my coursework in seminary a success...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Jason Hare

Re: I'm Dan (Tucson) and am self-learning Koine Greek - YIKE

Post by Jason Hare »

Welcome aboard, Dan!!!
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “Introductions”