Policy: No URLs (links) in signatures

B-Greek policies. Participants are required to abide by these policies. If you have questions about them, please discuss in the Questions forum.
Jonathan Robie

Policy: No URLs (links) in signatures

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Please do not put URLs (links) in your signatures. Feel free to put URLs in your profile. You can do this by going to the USER CONTROL PANEL: PROFILE.

The reason for this policy: people sometimes come into forums to promote their web sites by creating lots of links to them, hoping that will raise their search engine rankings. On some sites I have found this can badly degrade discussion, since those people aren't primarily interested in the discussion, they are more interested in creating a lot of posts that link to their site.

We do not want B-Greek to be used in that way.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Philemon Zachariou

Re: Policy: No URLs (links) in signatures

Post by Philemon Zachariou »

I am glad you pointed this out to me. A couple of times I half-consciously questioned my inclusion of a link to my website.
Please know I will honor your alerting me to this.

Sincerely,

Philemon Zachariou
refe

Post by refe »

I see many people listing their credentials in their signatures. I am self-taught with no real credentials to speak of. In fact, if anyone wants to know more about me or what I think about anything relevant to B-Greek they only have one place to go - my website, which is focused entirely on New Testament Greek. What about including a non-clickable website name? Something like GreekingOut.com. That shouldn't come up as an actual clickable URL if placed in my signature. It's obviously still quite a bit different from 'Professor of New Testament Studies at XYZ University" but the latter is no less a self-advertisement.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Your profile is a great place to put a link to your web site. And it shows up on the members list, too.

But please don't put it in your signature.

For what it's worth, I am self taught with no formal credentials too. So you have company ;-> And I like your web site.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
refe

Post by refe »

Thanks Jonathan - I figured it was worth one last try ;). Glad you like the site.

Return to “Policies”