Acta Marki

Questions and discussion about B-Greek policies or the B-Greek forum.
rsalm

Acta Marki

Post by rsalm »

I just joined B-Greek and am not sure how to proceed with a specific project involving patristic Greek. It might be best simply to paste a message here that I sent today to the JesusMysteries group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JesusMyst ... sage/63589). In short, I'm looking for someone to translate a V CE text from Greek into a modern language. . . I appreciate your guidance, whether this is appropriate for this forum, and will check this page daily for awhile. Thank you, Rene S.

--------
Perhaps now is the proper time to broach the existence of a virtually unknown work in Greek that I've had in digital and photocopy versions now for several years. It's "The Acts of Mark"--Acta Marci (Praxeis kai thaumata... Markou). Remarkably, this work has not yet been translated into any modern language. . .

My command of Greek is far from sufficient to produce anything like a reliable (much less exact) translation of this lengthy text. However, a perusal of the text shows that it is Christian, with much of the miraculous and hagiographic. It also appears to have very non-traditional elements which were later jettisoned by the tradition. . .

There are many other interesting aspects of this most obscure text. If anyone on this list is truly competent in Greek, or knows someone who is and who willing to do some translating, please let me know. Perhaps a provisional rendition in a modern language can be arranged. (You can contact me either on or off list.)

Rene Salm
Jonathan Robie

Re: Ask your questions here ...

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Hi Rene, and welcome to B-Greek!

There are many people on B-Greek who can do this kind of translation. Can the text be made available so people can see it, or is it confidential? Do you know if any original copies of the text exist, and where?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
rsalm

Re: Ask your questions here ...

Post by rsalm »

I have both a hardcopy and digital copy of the work, and am pleased to send either to someone who offers to translate all or part of the text, which is 25 pages of Greek divided (by the editor) into 35 sections, most sections averaging a paragraph each.

The first six sections are theologically the most important, I believe, and their translation would be a particular boon. . . The major part of Acta Marci (known separately as the "Martyrium of Mark") consists of the miraculous and Mark's martyrdom in Alexandria.

The Greek text that I have is in Analecta Bollandiana vol. 87 (1979):346-371.

Rene

Return to “Questions”