Suggestion - Latest Posts

Questions and discussion about B-Greek policies or the B-Greek forum.

Suggestion - Latest Posts

Postby Charlie Johnson » June 13th, 2011, 12:18 pm

I have a suggestion that I believe would greatly increase the accessibility of the forum, especially for those who really appreciated the email list format.

If there were a section on the home page that listed the 10 most recently posted/commented threads, or all new threads/comments within the last 24 hours, users would be able to see at a glance what conversations are currently live. It would function similarly to the B-Greek Digest. Right now, seeing that X user posted something in a forum isn't particularly helpful.

Here are some forums (fora?) that employ a similar idea:

Of course, I have no idea how difficult or expensive such a change would be. Is it feasible?
Charlie Johnson

Re: Suggestion - Latest Posts

Postby Jonathan Robie » June 13th, 2011, 12:33 pm

Hi Charlie,

This is similar to something we already have - have you noticed this section that appears at the top of the page when you are logged in?

View unanswered postsView unread postsView new postsView active topics

Here are the two I use most:

• View new posts shows the most recent posts - it doesn't stop at 10, but otherwise seems to give the functionality you want. This is available only if you are logged in.
  • View active topics shows the topics that have most recently been updated. You can choose the time period - 1 day, 7 days, etc. up to 1 year.

Also, you can subscribe to the RSS feed in your mail program or RSS reader to see recent posts. Try this URL for the feed:

Does that give you what you need?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
Jonathan Robie

Re: Suggestion - Latest Posts

Postby Charlie Johnson » June 14th, 2011, 9:30 am

Thanks. It's all there, I just never noticed it. I guess I'm used to big, visually prominent boxes.
Charlie Johnson

Return to Questions