Barry Hofstetter

Come here to read our policies, ask questions, make suggestions, or find out the latest news about the B-Greek forum.
Devenios Doulenios

Re: Barry Hofstetter

Post by Devenios Doulenios »

Thanks for sharing Barry’s obituary, so we could learn more about his remarkable life.

Although I didn’t have the pleasure of knowing Barry personally, I feel that I have lost a friend. Both in reading his B-Greek posts, his Textkit posts, and his B-Latin posts (first when it was a mailing list, and later in its Facebook incarnation), I always benefitted from his keen insights into ancient Greek and Latin. He also took time to respond via email and PM to offer suggested improvements to my bad Latin composition skills, which I was glad to receive. I still have a long way to go there, but I am glad to have had his company for part of the journey. It is certain that he had a large impact for good on his students, his colleagues, and most of all, on his family. It is a blessing that he had the consolation of support from his family and friends, and from his religious faith, during his last illness.

He will be greatly missed, and we are the richer for his time with us. Ave atque vale, frater! (Catullus 101) χαῖρε καὶ ἔρρωσο, ἀδελφέ!

Δεβένιος Δουλένιος
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

"Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου."--Διδαχή Α, α'

Return to “Announcements, Questions, and Policies”