καταστησω and καταστήσω

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Mike Burke

καταστησω and καταστήσω

Post by Mike Burke »

Does καταστησω have the same meaning (in New testament Greek) that καταστήσω has in modern Greek?

Does it mean "will make," "I will make"?
Stephen Carlson

Re: καταστησω and καταστήσω

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I would be helpful, and it is in fact the policy of B-Greek, to cite and quote the relevant contexts. Without a context, the correct answer is "It depends on the context."
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Mike Burke

Post by Mike Burke »

Biblical context:

ἔφη αὐτῷ ὁ κύριος αὐτοῦ Εὖ, δοῦλε ἀγαθὲ καὶ πιστέ, ἐπὶ ὀλίγα ἦς πιστός, ἐπὶ πολλῶν σε καταστήσω· εἴσελθε εἰς τὴν χαρὰν τοῦ κυρίου σου.

Modern Context:
Σ'αυτό το σημείο όμως με ωθείς να διευκρινήσω, και σ'ευχαριστώ γι'αυτό, μιας και ό'τι έχω στο μυαλό μου, δεν είναι αυτονόητο και για τους υπόλοιπους αναγνώστες αν δεν το καταστήσω σαφές (δική μου παράλειψη), πως συγκέκριμενα αναφέρομαι στο κανονικό τετράεδρο του Πλάτωνα, το οποίο είναι μια πυραμίδα με κάτοψη τριγωνική!
So does καταστησω have the same meaning (in New testament Greek) that καταστήσω has in modern Greek?

And does it mean "make," "will make," or "I will make"?
Stephen Carlson

If I may ask, why are you posing this question? Why do think this Modern Greek text has any relevance to Matt 25:21? Did someone tell you that it was? It is really out of left field.
Melbourne, Australia
Mike Burke

Post by Mike Burke »

If I may ask, why are you posing this question?
I noticed that the only difference in spelling seems to be an accent mark, and I was wondering if the two words have the same meaning?

It seems the biblical word is only used twice (in Matthew 25:21 and 23) in the entire N.T., and that seems strange if it just means "make," or even "I make."

The modern word seems to be used quite often, and I'm not sure it's always future, first person, singular.

Here's another modern context.
Εκ του ογκώδους τούτου
πονήματος έκρινα δέον ν' απανθίσω μικράν αφήγησιν περί της
πολιτείας του ανδρός, ίνα δημοσιεύσω αυτήν, υπό τον ανωτέρω
τίτλον, κατά την τελετήν των αποκαλυπτηρίων του ανδριάντος
αυτού. Τούτο δε έπραξα όπως καταστήσω, ως εν μικρογραφία,
γνωστόν τον βίον του Κυβερνήτου εις τους πολλούς, τους
στερουμένους τοιούτου αναγνώσματος.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/40139/40139-0.txt

So does the seldom used Biblical word have the same meaning as the modern word (and if not, what is the difference)?
Stephen Carlson

Mike Burke wrote:So does the seldom used Biblical word have the same meaning as the modern word (and if not, what is the difference)?
OK. It looks like you're asking what the meaning of a modern Greek word is. Unfortunately, that is not what this forum is set up to do. Perhaps you can consult a Modern Greek dictionary for the word καθιστὠ or ask a modern Greek. Just because a word is often translated into English as "make" in idiomatic expressions such as "make it clear" doesn't mean that it can signify anything and everything that "make" means in English. I wish I could say more, but asking whether two words in two different languages have the "same meaning" just doesn't make much sense because there is going to be some difference, so the answer is almost always "no."
Melbourne, Australia
Mike Burke

Post by Mike Burke »

The biblical word (καταστησω) seems to be translated "make" (or "I will make") in Matthew 25:21&23.

What does it mean, and why is it used only twice in the entire New Testament?

In any English translation of the Bible, the word "make," and the phrase "I will make" are used much more often than that.

It's a commonly used word (or phrase.)

So why is καταστησω used so rarely in the Greek New Testament?

Does it (the Biblical word) mean "make," "I will make," or something else?
Stephen Carlson

Mike Burke wrote:The biblical word (καταστησω) seems to be translated "make" (or "I will make") in Matthew 25:21&23.?
Which translations have you consulted? The most common ones (NRSV, NIV, etc.) have "I will put (you) in charge" or something like that. For the meaning of this common verb in Ancient Greek, you can consult the entry in a lexicon here: http://stephanus.tlg.uci.edu/lsj/#eid=5 ... rom-search

There used to be a good Modern Greek lexicon, but now they've password protected it.
Melbourne, Australia
Mike Burke

Post by Mike Burke »

Stephen Carlson wrote:
Mike Burke wrote:The biblical word (καταστησω) seems to be translated "make" (or "I will make") in Matthew 25:21&23.?
Which translations have you consulted? The most common ones (NRSV, NIV, etc.) have "I will put (you) in charge" or something like that.
I consulted the KJV and the NKJV.

They both have "I will make."
Stephen Carlson wrote:For the meaning of this common verb in Ancient Greek, you can consult the entry in a lexicon here: http://stephanus.tlg.uci.edu/lsj/#eid=5 ... rom-search
Thank you, but the form of this verb that we're discussing here doesn't seem to be that common.

I went to the link you gave me, and καταστησω isn't listed or discussed, and it's not used in any of the examples given.

So you take it to mean something like "I will put," or "I will appoint"?
Stephen Carlson wrote:...you can consult the entry in a lexicon here: http://stephanus.tlg.uci.edu/lsj/#eid=5 ... rom-search
Do you have to register and log in (and do you have to be a student or faculty member to register?)
Mike Burke

Post by Mike Burke »

P.S. I meant, would I have to register and log in if I wanted to look up other words in this lexicon.

I've already tried, and the search function doesn't seem to work.

Return to “Beginners Forum”