Participles by example? Other resources?

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Jacob Rhoden

Participles by example? Other resources?

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

Im finding the participle thing rather complicated.

It seems like in some grammatical forms, I find it easy and simple to translate. However in some other forms, not so easy. Not sure if its the book I'm using or me :D

It seems like some examples from the book I am using don't naturally translate as the rules would have them translate, either that or I am missing something. I wonder if there is some sort of resource that has collections of sample sentences grouped by their grammatical usage so I can dig into it a bit more.

Any other tips or pointers to info on participles would be useful. (:

Thanks!
Jonathan Robie

Re: Participles by example? Other resources?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

What book are you using?

Participles are one of the harder things for most people to grasp. The clearest explanation I know of is in Rijksbaron's "The Syntax and Semantics of the Verb in Classical Greek", but the examples it uses are drawn from a broader range of Greek than what many NT people are used to. Over the next 6 months, I need to produce sets of examples that illustrate the explanations in that chapter using NT texts, perhaps we could walk through that chapter slowly together, provide examples, discuss any questions, etc? I think that might be of interest to a lot of people here on B-Greek. And Micheal and I need to do that for our talk at SBL 2015.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Jacob Rhoden

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

Jonathan Robie wrote:What book are you using?

Participles are one of the harder things for most people to grasp. The clearest explanation I know of is in Rijksbaron's "The Syntax and Semantics of the Verb in Classical Greek", but the examples it uses are drawn from a broader range of Greek than what many NT people are used to. Over the next 6 months, I need to produce sets of examples that illustrate the explanations in that chapter using NT texts, perhaps we could walk through that chapter slowly together, provide examples, discuss any questions, etc? I think that might be of interest to a lot of people here on B-Greek. And Micheal and I need to do that for our talk at SBL 2015.
Im using Duff, which is for the most part great. Except for when I don't get parts of it (: My immediate urgency is that this weeks content (Participles) is tested on next week. I'll see if I can find a copy of that book you recommend in the morning.

I am more than happy to put time into reading/practicing any material you might be working on. The more practice the better!
Paul-Nitz

Post by Paul-Nitz »

Physically act out simple examples such as below, and see if the mystery of the participle doesn't lift.

περιπατῶν λαμβάνω τὸν κάλαμον. walking I take the pen
περιπατῶν ἔλαβον τὸν κάλαμον.

περιπατήσας λαμβάνω τὸν κάλαμον.
περιπατήσας ἔλαβον τὸν κάλαμον.

περιπατοῦντος αὐτοῦ ἔλαβον τὸν κάλαμον.
περιπατήσαντος αὐτοῦ ἔλαβον τὸν κάλαμον.
Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Paul-Nitz wrote: Physically act out simple examples such as below, and see if the mystery of the participle doesn't lift.

Do you have a complete set of examples like this that cover all the cases found in, e.g. Rijksbaron's description?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Jacob Rhoden

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

Paul-Nitz wrote: Physically act out simple examples such as below, and see if the mystery of the participle doesn't lift.

περιπατῶν λαμβάνω τὸν κάλαμον. walking I take the pen
This is exactly the type of thing I have been trying to find! Thanks so much. Its a great start!!

The basic usage of participles is not too much of a challenge, where I am struggling is the other types of usages.
Paul-Nitz

Post by Paul-Nitz »

Jonathan Robie wrote:Do you have a complete set of examples like this that cover all the cases found in, e.g. Rijksbaron's description?

That book happens to be in my Amazon wishlist, but I won't get it in hand until June when I'm back in the States. I don't suppose it would be breaking copyright to quote a couple examples here from Rijksbaron (could someone please tell me how to pronounce that name!). Then οἱ B-Greek-οι could try to write simple examples in response.

Jacob Rhoden wrote:where I am struggling is the other types of usages.
How about posting a specific usage.

What I've found is that if I understand the basic structure and usage, the context tells me the rest. I'm sure I'm leaving out some basic usages in my examples above. I wonder what should be added? One that comes to mind is:

νῦν δὲ παύομαι γραφων. ;)
Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Paul-Nitz wrote:Rijksbaron (could someone please tell me how to pronounce that name!).
Like "Rakes-baron." If you know your IPA, /ij/ is pronounced [ɛi].
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Beginners Forum”